Awasu Personal Edition v1.0.3 (beta)
UPDATE: This beta has expired.
Please check the releases page for information about the latest releases.
IMPORTANT: This is a beta
release. Some features may not be complete and the software may be unstable.
Install at your own risk! You may need to do some basic computer maintenance
tasks to get this release to run.
Please read these installation instructions carefully. It's not going
to work properly if you don't!
- You must have at least Awasu 1.0.1
- Make sure that Awasu is not running. It may take a while for it to
finish even after the main window has closed so use Task Manager to
determine when it has really exited.
- Backup your installation before proceeding e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu.
- Unless you have heavily customized your menus, toolbars and/or keyboard
shortcuts, you should run ResetUi.exe in the Awasu installation directory.
If you don't, you will not see any of the new menu items or keyboard
- Unpack the following zip to the installation directory: Awasu-1.0.3.zip
- Copy all of the .template files in the Resources directory to your
user's home directory:
e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Resources\*.template => C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME
- If you are running out of fingers and toes keeping track of your channel
subscriptions, channel filters will
help you keep them neatly organized (your channels, that is, not your digits). Channel
filters are a much more flexible way of managing your channels than
the traditional way of putting them in folders and sub-folders. If you've
heard rumours about the file system being developed for Microsoft's
next generation of Windows, you will recognize some of the similarities
in the way information is being managed.
- Channel reports provide a single-page listing of all or a selection of items from
any number of channels. If you like to browse your channels from a single
page or want to export your channel feeds to a PDA for offline browsing,
then you'll be using this feature a lot. However, channel reports are
surprisingly flexible and let you do much more than just this. You can
export your channel subscriptions to any format whatsoever, automatically
keep your blogroll up-to-date or create meta-channels i.e. channels
that are aggregated from several other channels!
- Items in the channel item panes are now shown in three different
ways: no icon to indicate read items, a black and white icon for unread
items and a yellow icon for new unread items i.e. items that
were received in the last update for that channel.
- Channel summary pages now show the appropriate icon for each feed
item and italicize read items. These summary pages are also kept in
sync with what happens elsewhere in the UI e.g. if you mark items as
read from the item pane, the summary page will update itself to reflect that.
- The number of unread items in each channel is displayed in the My
Channels window. This can be turned off in the Program Options if you
find it distracting.
- "Mark all as read" was added to the My Channels context
- The size of each channel's item pane is saved and restored the next
time the channel is opened. If you prefer the old behaviour where it
would show itself every time the channel was opened, stop Awasu, find
the "SaveItemViewHeights=" option in your user's CONFIG.INI
file and set it to 0. Note that if you have "Auto-hide feed items"
turned on in the program options, the item pane will always be closed
up when you open a channel's window (as before).
- If more than one new item is found when a channel is updated and notification
balloons are enabled, the tray icon starts animating and/or a sound
played only when the first balloon is shown (instead of for every
- The way Awasu decides when to start and stop the system tray icon
animation has been completely overhauled. It was working properly as
designed (no, really!) but some people were finding
it a bit annoying. The animation will now be stopped any time you switch
to Awasu and will not start if Awasu is the active window.
Bug fixes and minor changes
- Added a new item to the File menu: "Open next channel".
The default keyboard shortcut is F10.
- Limited the number of feed items listed in consolidated notification
- Fixed the flickering that happened when the main window was resized.
- Added a navbar to plugin windows.
- RSS parse errors are no longer translated into a "Not an RSS
feed" error if an <RSS> tag is not found. The underlying
parsing error is returned instead.
- Leading whitespace in RSS feeds is now ignored.
- Optimized the work done behind the scenes when you opened, closed
or switched windows inside Awasu. You should find the UI much snappier now.
- Optimized "Mark all as read."
- Fixed an occasional crash when Windows is starting and Awasu auto-start
is turned on. I haven't ever been able to get this to happen but a few
people have reported it. I'm fairly certain that I've figured out what's
going on so if it happens again, please let me know! Thanks to everyone
who helped me track this one down.
- Fixed a bug where the navbar wouldn't resize properly for channel
windows when CTRL-TAB was used to switch between windows.
- Fixed some bugs that occurred if feed items had the same URL.
- Fixed a bug where unread feed items were sometimes being incorrectly
flagged as new when a channel was updated.