Awasu Personal Edition v1.0.4 (beta)
UPDATE: This beta has expired.
Please check the releases page for information about the latest releases.
IMPORTANT: This is a beta
release. Some features may not be complete and the software may be unstable.
Install at your own risk! You may need to do some basic computer maintenance
tasks to get this release to run.
Please read these installation instructions carefully. It's not going
to work properly if you don't!
- If you are running Awasu 1.0 (i.e. have not installed any of the subsequent
betas), you must unpack this zip to
the Awasu installation directory.
- It is recommended that you clear your Workpad read-me list before
installing this version. Things will probably work fine if you don't
but you may see some slightly odd behaviour.
- Make sure that Awasu is not running. It may take a while for it to
finish even after the main window has closed so use Task Manager to
determine when it has really exited.
- Backup your installation before proceeding e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu.
- Unpack the following zip to the installation directory: Awasu-1.0.4.zip
NOTE: Some of the feature descriptions below explain
how to change settings in CONFIG.INI. This file can be found in your user
directory e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME. Run the new version
of Awasu, open the Program Options dialog and press OK (you only need to do this once). Exit Awasu
and make sure it is not running, as described above. Open CONFIG.INI in
Notepad and make the necessary changes. Then save the file and restart
- Internet Explorer's context menu now contains some Awasu-related
items. You can right-click on a link or orange XML button and start
the Channel Wizard or add a link to the read-me list. These options
are also available in any IE window (not just those within Awasu)
as long as they were opened after Awasu has started. Many thanks to
Jignesh Patel for sending in the code for this way cool feature.
- The "minimize to system tray" option has been renamed to
"run as a system tray app". Enabling this option maintains
the previous behaviour of hiding Awasu in the taskbar when it is minimized.
However, it also disables the normal exit mechanism. If you choose File,
Exit or press ALT-F4 or click on the close icon in the top-right corner,
Awasu will minimize to the system tray instead of exiting. To really
exit, right-click on the system tray icon and choose Exit from there.
Thanks to 256greys for this one.
- New items have been added to the Tools menu to run various tools.
For all of them (except for "Translate page"), select some
text in the current browser window and choose the tool you want to run
e.g. search Google or look up the meaning of a word. If no text is selected,
the contents of the clipboard will be used instead. Holding down SHIFT
or CTRL while choosing the menu item will open that tool in an external
browser window instead of within Awasu.
More tools can be added or the current ones modified by editing CONFIG.INI
(search for "User Tool").
- A button has been added to the channel properties dialog to view the current
feed. This is useful when creating new channel subscriptions
since it lets you preview the feed before actually creating it.
- Channel categories can now be set by the Channel Wizard when creating
new subscriptions. Thanks to Earl Mardle for this one.
- Reports can now be generated from the Workpad read-me list. Thanks
to Earl Mardle for this one.
- Added a close icon to notification balloons so that they can be closed
quickly without having to wait for them to timeout. Thanks to 256greys for this one.
This feature can be turned off by setting the ShowNotificationBalloonCloseIcon option
in CONFIG.INI to 0.
- The ImportOpml plugin can now download and import from an OPML file
on the net, not just a local file. Thanks to Bill Kearney for this one.
- The <SKIPDAYS> and <SKIPHOURS> RSS tags are now supported.
These allow feed publishers to specify times when their channel
should not be updated.
- Channel updates are suspended if an internet connection is not present.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get this to work where the connection
is provided over a LAN and therefore this feature is disabled by default.
To enable it, change the value of EnableRasCheck in CONFIG.INI to be
- Channels with new content and newly-received feed items are now shown
in bold. Thanks to 256greys for suggesting this. This can be turned
on and off from the Display page in the Program Options dialog.
- The speed of the fade in/fade out effect for notification balloons
can now be changed via the NotificationBalloonAnimationTime setting
in CONFIG.INI (specified in milliseconds).
- All messages that appear in the activity and error logs are also stored
in files in the Logs sub-directory (AwasuActivity.log and AwasuError.log).
- The removal of items from the read-me list now need to be confirmed
- Channels whose feed appear to have gone missing (i.e. receive 3 consecutive
HTTP 404's) will have their automatic channel updates disabled.
- HTTP 301 return codes (permanently moved) are now handled and the
channel's feed URL updated accordingly.
- Allow "integer" and "boolean" (in addition to
"int" and "bool") as parameter types in plugin config
files. Thanks to Allan Wilson for the suggestion.
- Don't show a channel's item pane (if it's hidden) when clicking on
a notification balloon.
- Don't open a channel's window (within Awasu) when opening a feed item
in a new window from a notification balloon.
- Include the "file://" protocol for local URL's when generating
- The current directory is maintained correctly when browsing for report
- Fixed a crash if an invalid template file is supplied.
- Handle special characters in feed URL's when importing OPML.
- Don't require channel filters to have a name when applying them on the fly
from the dialog.
- Allow files to be downloaded from a web server via a port other than