IMPORTANT: This is an alpha release (what's this?).
Some features are not complete and you will find bugs!
You must be already running 2.1.1. To install:
- Read the release notes below first!
- Backup your Awasu installation directory and keep it, even if
the alpha appears to work correctly.
- Unpack one (!) of the following zips on top of your existing installation:
- If you are running Windows NT, 2000 or XP, you must also unpack
this zip in your Awasu installation directory.
- Run ArchiveMaintenance.exe (in the Awasu installation directory) to upgrade your database.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There is a known issue that will crash Awasu on startup
if you have tabbed browsing turned off. To turn it back on, open your user's
CONFIG.INI file in Notepad, find the line that says "UiHandlerType=0" and change
the 0 to 1. This will be fixed for the next alpha.
This release introduces support for multiple (Advanced/Pro Editions only) workpads.
There is a new menu item (View|Workpads) that lets you create and manage workpads,
assign hotkeys, etc. in the usual way.
Workpad items can be dragged and dropped between workpads and also from the item pane
of channel windows. Items can also be edited (right-click on them for a context menu)
and your own notes attached to them that can subsequently be included in reports.
The new parameters that can be used in channel report templates are:
There are new keyboard shortcuts for adding entries to a workpad:
Since it is now possible to have more than one workpad, these shortcuts
always work on the default workpad, that is, the first one defined
in the Organize Workpads dialog.
- Ctrl-W: add the currently selected item to the default workpad.
- Ctrl-Shift-W: add the URL in the clipboard to the default workpad.
Workpads can be docked or floated as per normal but there is also an additional
neat feature where they can be "glued" together to form a single window
with multiple tabs.
Added a new visual style "Whidbey". This can be set in the Display tab of
the Program Options dialog.
Added "smart docking" for Awasu windows. This is controlled from the Display tab
of the Program Options dialog and shows markers to help dock windows when they
are being dragged.
IeAddToReadMe.template is now IeAddToWorkpad.template. If you want to
create a link to add a URL to Awasu's default workpad, the format is now
For backwards compatibility, the old format (
is still supported.
- The Apply button was removed from the Organize Channel Filters (since it's
no longer needed now we have a toolbar in the My Channels window).
- Upgraded to a new version of the GUI toolkit.
- Upgraded to a new version of the archive database engine.
Upcoming features and known issues
- The ability to drag and drop workpad items to and from outside Awasu
will be added for the next alpha (e.g. to/from Internet Explorer or Notepad).
- If you have no workpads defined and then create one, the toolbar buttons
will be missing if they are disabled. Restarting Awasu will fix this problem.
- Ghost workpad windows can sometimes appear at startup.
- The keyboard interface for navigating through menus is broken under Windows 98/Me.