View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Post Blackbox.dll - Privacy concerns
I'd like to use Awasu, but before I install it on my PC, I really need answers to these questions:

Could you please describe, with specificity, as to what the Blackbox.dll file actually does? Its name implies that it is some type of recorder, like the black box on an airliner.

I am concerned from a privacy perspective. Exactly what is it recording, and to whom is this information sent? Is any information sent prior to its deletion (such as during installation)?

Are there any other "data gathering" or "phone home" features embedded in Awasu?

Thanks in advance. It sounds like you have a nice program here, but I'm naturally concerned about any free software that has a "black box" module. Can't be too careful nowadays. I searched these forums before posting, but didn't see any results answering these questions.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:41 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Blackbox.dll - Privacy concerns
curious wrote:
Could you please describe, with specificity, as to what the Blackbox.dll file actually does? Its name implies that it is some type of recorder, like the black box on an airliner.

I totally sympathize with your concerns :-) BlackBox is a somewhat unfortunately-named module that detects when Awasu crashes and grabs all kinds of information that will be helpful to us to figure out what exactly happened. That's all. There is no monitoring of what you are doing, phoning home or anything nasty like that.

You can find the source for BlackBox here: http://codeproject.com/tools/blackbox.asp

It's probably worth reiterating our policy on this kind of thing as well: http://www.awasu.com/faqs/WhyIsItFree.php

Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Thanks -- I just searched the forum when I should've read the FAQ. At least I was able to find out what and where Blackbox came from, so it wasn't a wasted post. I for one appreciate your contribution, and your approach re: our privacy.

I'm just getting into RSS newsreaders and must say that I like Awasu's interface far better than Amphetadesk. I just installed both today, and Awasu installed and worked without a hitch, while I really had to tweak AmphetaDesk's setup files to have it work with my firm's proxy server.

Keep up the great work! You might be happy to know that after looking through many of the newsreader sites listed at
http://dmoz.org/Reference/Libraries/Library_and_Information_Science/Technical_Services/Cataloguing/Metadata/RDF/Applications/RSS/News_Readers/, Awasu best met what I was looking for, especially in the "look and feel" dept.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:47 pm
Site Admin

I for one appreciate your contribution, and your approach re: our privacy.

We hate spyware just as much as anyone else :mad:

Anonymous wrote:
I'm just getting into RSS newsreaders and must say that I like Awasu's interface far better than Amphetadesk. I just installed both today, and Awasu installed and worked without a hitch, while I really had to tweak AmphetaDesk's setup files to have it work with my firm's proxy server.

Thanks :-) While there is certainly a place for something like Amphetadesk i.e. cross-platform readers, ease of use is something we've really focused on with Awasu. People shouldn't have to fiddle with config files and Perl scripts just to read their news!

Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]