newshound

Postby newshound » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:24 am

http://www.awasu.com/downloads/ThirdParty/GoogleSearch/

"Google Search

Awasu 1.1.1 introduced support for submitting SOAP requests to web services and transforming the results into RSS using XSLT."

ummm... how about an asterisk someplace and a translation? Or use the Acronym tag to explain the terms.

I know, I know... any 15 year old kid understands this. I will too, one day, I promise.

newshound

Postby newshound » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:42 am

... and it didn't work for me anyway. Got my Google API key, put it in the plugin, but the best I can get is "XML parse failed (7:L3/C2): mismatched tag" when I enter my query.

:cry: :?:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:44 am

newshound wrote:ummm... how about an asterisk someplace and a translation? Or use the Acronym tag to explain the terms.

I actually thought about this when I was writing up the release notes but the thing is, if you don't know what SOAP and XSLT are already, you won't have any need for these features in Awasu :-)

The plugin was written so that non-techies could use the features to search Google without having to know how it all worked. But if you're a glutton for punishment...

SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol and is just another way for computers to talk to each other. You may have heard of HTTP; this is how your browser talks to a web server. SOAP is a more general and powerful way of communicating and is often used by web services.

Web services are, um, services provided by a web server :-) In this case, Google provides a web service that allows programs to use their search engine. Awasu uses SOAP to pass Google your search query, licence key etc. and Google sends back the results, also using SOAP.

XSLT stands for XSL (Extensible Stylesheet Language) Transformations. XML is a way of packaging up information. RSS is one example of XML, so is SOAP. XSLT allows you to specify rules that morph an XML document from one form to another. In the case of this plugin, Awasu accepts the search results from Google as SOAP, applies an XSLT to it which transforms it into RSS which then just gets pumped into Awasu as normal.

Most people won't want to know any of this but hey, you asked! :roll:
Last edited by support on Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:46 am

newshound wrote:but the best I can get is "XML parse failed (7:L3/C2): mismatched tag" when I enter my query.

Email me your key and query and I'll take a look at it. Try a different query as well. "awasu" works fine for me :-)

The other thing to keep in mind is that Google's web service is still in beta only and is up and down quite a lot. If it's down, this the error you will probably get :-(

GTM2

Postby GTM2 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:18 pm

Can someone tell me (like they're talking to a 7 year old :? ) how to set up an RSS feed for my blog :?: Is it some sort of code, or what? I'm NOT a technical person, but want to learn how to use this from a content provider point of view. :wink:

Thanks!
GTM2

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:44 pm

GTM2 wrote:Can someone tell me (like they're talking to a 7 year old :? ) how to set up an RSS feed for my blog :?:

Where's your blog? Some blog providers let you do it, some don't - they're all different :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”