cnewtonne

Postby cnewtonne » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:17 pm

I'm currently checking out Awasu and one of the very first feature I'm looking for is to be able to read feeds offline or save for later offline reading. However, I could not get it to work. I read several posts here where you indicated that awasu actually downloads the feeds completely for offline browsing. When I disconnected my laptop, I get page cannot be displayed. You did say that some feeds have summaries and a link for the entire article, but I do not think this is my case. Try this feed for example and see if you can browse it offline (http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/ask_tom.newest.rss).

My questions are...
- how do you browse offline?
- Having a new start on using rss, I'm not sure who and what determines how many articles do you see in a feed. For example, I subscribed to a feed yesterday and it showed me 15 articles. Subscribing to it today showed only 8 (using 2 different rss readers). Is this something that the rss feed owner controls or on the reader side?

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:52 pm

cnewtonne wrote:I'm currently checking out Awasu and one of the very first feature I'm looking for is to be able to read feeds offline or save for later offline reading. However, I could not get it to work.

OK, first things first. What version of Awasu are you running (check the About box)? The offline content feature was introduced in 2.2.1 so you need to be running at least that. It is also only available in the Professional Edition so if you haven't already purchased it, you'll need to check out the trial version.

cnewtonne wrote:I read several posts here where you indicated that awasu actually downloads the feeds completely for offline browsing. When I disconnected my laptop, I get page cannot be displayed.

Assuming you've taken care of both points above, channels need to be configured individually to download their feed items for offline reading (this is because it takes quite a lot of disk space to store them all so having it on by default or having a global switch would fill up your disk PDQ). You can do this by opening the channel's Properties dialog, going to the Advanced tab and turning on <i>Download feed items for reading offline</i>.

cnewtonne wrote:You did say that some feeds have summaries and a link for the entire article, but I do not think this is my case. Try this feed for example and see if you can browse it offline (http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/ask_tom.newest.rss).

This feed is <u>not</u> a full-content feed i.e. the feed itself only contains a snippet of each feed item's full content. You have to follow the link to read the entire article. However, if you turn on Awasu's offline reading feature (as described above), it will do this automatically for you and make each article available for reading even when you are not connected.

cnewtonne wrote:I'm not sure who and what determines how many articles do you see in a feed. For example, I subscribed to a feed yesterday and it showed me 15 articles. Subscribing to it today showed only 8 (using 2 different rss readers). Is this something that the rss feed owner controls or on the reader side?

It's a bit of both. The <u>publisher</u> controls how many feed items appear in their feed XML at any given time so every time Awasu updates the channel, that's what it will get. But if you don't update a channel for a long time and some feed items disappear from the feed before Awasu has had a chance to retrieve them, then that's it, you've missed them.

Awasu also gives you a lot of control over how much content you see for each channel e.g. the last 20 items, all items from the last 5 days, only unread items, etc.

HTH 8)

cnewtonne

Postby cnewtonne » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:43 pm

great reply. Thanks.

- Running the personal edition 2.2, so I guess, I have to upgrade to use offline browsing.
- In regards to the last inquiry...
- as I read these feeds, a lot of times I want to save it for later even if the publisher retires the item or for whatever reason, it no longer exists. If I enable the channel to download it offline, then all feed items should persist forever unless I manually delete them, right?

- If I enable a channel to get items by date (last month) or count (last 50), then it should get them all even though it has not updated for 2 weeks or so. I tried this on the rss I gave you, but the item count did not change? So why Awasu not getting more items? Is this the publisher restriction?

- can you specify offline browsing on an item basis vs. whole channel? Something like right-click-->save offline. If not, is there another way to do it?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:07 pm

cnewtonne wrote:If I enable the channel to download it offline, then all feed items should persist forever unless I manually delete them, right?

If that's how you've configured the channel, yes. The Advanced Edition lets you keep stuff for up to 6 months, the Pro Edition is unlimited.

cnewtonne wrote:If I enable a channel to get items by date (last month) or count (last 50), then it should get them all even though it has not updated for 2 weeks or so.

Awasu is configured to *show* items by date or item count, not get them. It always *gets* all items that the publisher has put in the current feed.

Updating a channel only once every two weeks is very slow and is quite likely to cause items to be missed. If they publish something, it will appear in the feed until it gets too old and gets pushed out by newer items. If you don't update the feed at least once before that happens, you will miss it.

cnewtonne wrote:can you specify offline browsing on an item basis vs. whole channel? Something like right-click-->save offline. If not, is there another way to do it?

Not yet but it's on The List... :whip:

cnewtonne

Postby cnewtonne » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:35 am

I managed to get some time to download Awasu Pro 223 beta to check out the offline feature. Unfortunately, It did not work. This is what I did

1) configured multiple channels for offline browsing (properties/advanced).
2) updated the channels. OK
3) offlined awasu (file-->work offline)
4) now when I click on an item, I get this 'connect' 'work offline' dialogue. If I click 'work offline', item does not show.

I attempted 5 channels and I was not able to work with any offline. What I'm I missing?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:09 am

A few things about how offline content works.

(*) It will only work for items that have been received *after* you turn it on for a channel.
(*) You shouldn't set Awasu into offline mode.
(*) After updating a channel, it may take a short while for items to be downloaded (in the background). You can see what's happening in the Activity Log.
(*) Items that are available for offline reading are shown with a special icon (Image) in the channel's summary page.

jonahviakeyboard

Postby jonahviakeyboard » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:38 pm

Feeds that are downloaded for offline reading, are they added to the archive index? What about the search index?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:58 am

jonahviakeyboard wrote:Feeds that are downloaded for offline reading, are they added to the archive index? What about the search index?

We'll be adding this feature later.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”