tbuet

Postby tbuet » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:34 pm

After successfully adding a new feed, it will never update again. Tried manually updating also, no good. No errors are received, the feed just won't update. If I delete the feed, then add it back, new info will be there.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:18 pm

tbuet wrote:After successfully adding a new feed, it will never update again.

Please post the URL of the feed and what version of Awasu you are running (check the About box).

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:01 am

I've put it in my subscription list and I'll keep an eye on it.

I've noticed in the past that the News is Free feeds can sometimes be a little funny so maybe there's something going on at their end.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:12 am

This channel is updating fine for me.

Are you still having the problem? What version of Awasu are you running?

tbuet

Postby tbuet » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:07 am

I'm going through corporate firewall(s) & routers. I wonder if the RSS content is being cached by one of them? I assume an update request is like pressing the refresh button on a browser. Whats the difference is the request post content between an initial request & subsequent update requests?

tbuet

Postby tbuet » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:16 am

Did a packet trace while doing an update. Response I get back is: HTTP/1.0 304 Not Modified .... Hmmm. Then I open a browser window, go to the URL of the RSS feed and get back the same(old) data.. Then I do a REFRESH from the browser and get NEW content. Content is being cached someplace. I need to send a refresh from the reader.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:21 am

tbuet wrote:I wonder if the RSS content is being cached by one of them?

Possibly. Try this:

- Shut down Awasu and wait for it to finish (check Task Manager).
- Find the channel's config file in the Channels sub-directory and add the following entry:

Code: Select all

[Config]
ForceNetDownloads=1

This will attempt to bypass any caching or HTTP LastModified/ETag processing and *always* download the feed.

You can also try this:

- Create a DEBUG.INI file in your user's directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME) that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[MessageLog]
HttpHeaders=1

This will log what's happening to Logs/Awasu.log and may give some clues. There are some other log messages that can be turned on but I need to know what version of Awasu you are running!

tbuet

Postby tbuet » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:50 am

ForceNetDownloads setting fixed me up. This added the Pragma: no-cache to the HTTP Get Packet. Can this be turned on by default?

Thanks for you help.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:02 pm

tbuet wrote:ForceNetDownloads setting fixed me up. This added the Pragma: no-cache to the HTTP Get Packet. Can this be turned on by default?

Afraid not - you will have to turn it on for each channel individually. You can run the ChannelMaintenance.exe utility to do this for you. You will need to modify the ChannelMaintenance.ini config file but it's easy to figure out what to add :-)

Isn't there some way to manage this at the proxy (assuming that's what's doing the caching)?

tbuet

Postby tbuet » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:11 pm

Trying to get the IT folks who manage the proxy to make any changes is very difficult. If I tell them the reason I need this change is so my RSS reader will keep me up to date, they'll probably block my IP address! However, if I build an RSS feed for my organization, I'll have a 'legitimate' need. (maybe).

Thanks

gonna go write an auto-update service to set that flag...

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:23 pm

tbuet wrote:Trying to get the IT folks who manage the proxy to make any changes is very difficult.

It's been a while since I worked for a large company so I guess I've forgotten what it's like. I feel your pain, brother! :(

tbuet wrote:gonna go write an auto-update service to set that flag...

I've been a bit reluctant to add a global switch to turn this on for every channel since I suspect that people will just use it to get their feeds through instead of trying to fix the actual cause of the problem, thus putting extra load on the feed servers, perhaps un-necessarily. I'll have another think about it.

Maybe you can help: will setting Pragma: no-cache still allow HTTP 304's through? I suspect it will... If you send me your email address, I'll get a special build out to you for testing.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”