View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Post Best way to ....
Lets say I have a folder that contains 5 feeds from CNN.
But I only want to see items from those 5 CNN feeds that contain the the search string "wall street"

What is the best way to set this up? I susspect that there could be a few ways to skin this cat!

Thanks

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:09 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Best way to ....
Sorry about the late reply...

The easiest way to do it would be to either use search agents or item filters. However, both these only highlight matching items, they don't remove non-matches from the display.

Alternatively, it would be straight-forward to write a channel hook (e.g. by adapting this one) to add matching items to a workpad as they arrived, then just run a report from that workpad. Depending on what you want to do, this might be a better solution since you will be able to annotate the items, email the reports out, upload them to web site, etc.

Awasu's search engine does offer the ability to search in URL's, so you could restrict searches to "cnn.com" but unfortunately, things don't work too well when you try to combine that with another search term. I'll have a ponder over this...

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:26 am
Profile WWW

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 am

I think this would be a great feature to have so that you could restrict a Search Channel search to a specific group of Channels.

As I mentioned towards the bottom of this post, it's be nice if one step of the Search Channel wizard would let you select "Channels selected by a channel filter" or "Channels in a folder" (similar to the Channel Reports wizard). Right now you just have to get creative with your search criteria to try to include some term and exclude other terms.

:idea: And of course, it's 2010, so no post would be complete without mentioning that I think it is (almost) possible to build a customized Awasu Search Application Plugin that would give you this type of functionality using the new Awasu API. This App. Plugin would issue a search using $/search/query and if it's currently possible to return the Channel's Name or ID in the search results then you could match the Channel's Name or ID against a list of channels that you wanted to search in obtained by a call to $/channels/list and a call to $/channels/filters/list and/or channels/folders.

If this App. Plugin allowed you to save the combination of a search query and the Channels or Folders that it is restricted to in a database or to the file system... then this App. Plugin could even be coded so that it could be called via HTTP with a "saved search name" as a parameter and it would perform it's search against it's Channel/Filter/Folder list and return the results as an Atom feed.

Suddenly you've got a "virtual" Channel/Filter/Folder-restricted Search Channel server written as an Awasu Application Plugin. It's technically not a Channel Plugin, but it's kind of similar.
Although a user could get themselves into some kind of a curricular, recursiveness situation if their Channel subcribed from this App. Plugin is in a Folder that is being searched by this App. Plugin, so maybe this is a bad idea, Taka, tell me if I'm not making sense! :drevil:

FYI Awasu already exposes Application Plugins through HTTP, see: Writing interactive application plugins :coolthumb:

I've got lots of other "fish to fry" right now, so I won't be writing this anytime soon and at this point I'm still not sure if the Channel Name or Channel ID is available in the $/search/query search results, but it's probably possible with Awasu, and probably impossible with anything else on the market.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 pm
Site Admin

kevotheclone wrote:
it's be nice if one step of the Search Channel wizard would let you select "Channels selected by a channel filter" or "Channels in a folder" (similar to the Channel Reports wizard).

This is a great idea. Filtering search results by URL will probably have to be done by post-processing them so adding in extra criteria for channel filters and folders shouldn't be too hard.

kevotheclone wrote:
I'm still not sure if the Channel Name or Channel ID is available in the $/search/query search results

The name is available in the <tt>source</tt> sub-node.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

support wrote:
Filtering search results by URL will probably have to be done by post-processing...

Yes that's the only way I could see it could be accomplished in an Application Plugin, maybe the only way you could do it too.

support wrote:
The name is available in the source sub-node.

:oops: Duh! Why didn't I see that. I need to go to the eye doctor. :wall:

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]