View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

Post Report Heading Format
Currently I generate an email report from the contents of a WorkPad.

Question. Is it possible to have category headings in a report - perhaps this could be the end result of combining items from 2 or more WorkPads into the one report??

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:04 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Report Heading Format
Booboo wrote:
Is it possible to have category headings in a report

What do you mean by "category headings"? If it's a fixed heading, you can modify the report templates so that they produce whatever you want.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 am
Profile WWW

Lets say I have four categories of information in my one report. I would simply like to have the applicable items listed under the corresponding heading.

Think of say four bold headings on a Word Document and bullet points under each heading.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 am
Site Admin

If all the items are coming from the one workpad, how would you see Awasu figuring out which items to put under which heading?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 am
Profile WWW

i would need to manually sort them somehow.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:32 am
Site Admin

i would need to manually sort them somehow.

Yah, that's the problem :-)

So, you could either do it manually after the report had been generated (by tweaking the report itself), or generate 4 separate reports and merge them together into one. 2.4.2 introduced a new version that lets a program be run after a report has been generated that could do this merge... :idea:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 am
Profile WWW

Speaking of Word Documents...

I've been kicking around the idea of creating a Awasu Wiki page to demonstrate how to use Word's {INCLUDETEXT} field to pull in data from the Awasu API. Of course the user would need Awasu 2.4.2 to use this feature.

Let's say you've got a weekly report in Word format with "x" number of sections. You type in a different section heading and generic description for each one and each section includes its own {INCLUDETEXT} field to pull in data from an Awasu Channel report or the item from a Workpad.

It's a "live report", depending upon the Word settings; the {INCLUDETEXT} fields may refresh their data on the Open, Print and Save actions. I think there is a fairly easy way to get rid of the fields after they have pulled in the data; leaving only the static data, but it's getting late and I can't think of it right now. :sleepy:

It's a little off-topic for Awasu's wiki, but if this sounds like something that could help you (Booboo) let me know and I'll add it this week.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:21 am
Site Admin

kevotheclone wrote:
each section includes its own {INCLUDETEXT} field to pull in data from an Awasu Channel report or the item from a Workpad.

I wasn't aware of this new feature but the idea of hooking it into Awasu's API, that's insane :bigshock: :blink:

kevotheclone wrote:
It's a little off-topic for Awasu's wiki

Why? It's exactly the kind of thing the wiki is there for. And it's too cool not to tell everyone about :cool:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:28 am
Profile WWW

Kev. I would be interested to play with this to see if it's of any practical value.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:36 am

Sorry, I completely forgot about this; I'll get Awasu's Wiki updated in the next couple of days and post the link back here when it's completed. :oops:

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Ok I finally updated the wiki with some instructions on how to use the INCLUDETEXT field in Microsoft Word to insert Awasu data into a Word document.

In Booboo's scenario, Booboo could add several headings using Word's built-in Heading styles for each category of data. Below each heading Booboo could insert an INCLUDETEXT field, whose URL points to a different Awasu Workpad, or a different Channel Report's results, or a different Awasu Search results, or a... well you get the idea.

Once again, the Awasu API isn't reserved just for hard-core programmers; if you can hand type a URL and if you've ever created or tweaked a Channel Summary or Channel Report Template you have all the skills you need to get real results using Awasu 2.4.2's API.

The new wiki page: Inserting Awasu Data Into Microsoft Word

I have not linked this article from any other Wiki pages (maybe Taka can figure out the best place). :wink: Until then save this link or search the wiki for it.

In the wiki article I mention the fact that within Word you can use XSLT to process the inserted text (XML), but I don't discuss the details of it. Generally you won't need to do this; only if you need some advanced features in XSLT that aren't available in Awasu's template processing engine. I only briefly mentioned it for completeness.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:41 am
Site Admin

kevotheclone wrote:
Ok I finally updated the wiki with some instructions on how to use the INCLUDETEXT field in Microsoft Word to insert Awasu data into a Word document.

Holy moly, this is cool indeed :clap:

kevotheclone wrote:
I have not linked this article from any other Wiki pages (maybe Taka can figure out the best place). :wink:

How about the Hints and tips page :-)

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:58 am
Profile WWW

Finally... Hints and tips ...done.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]