Saddam

Postby Saddam » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:57 am

OK I have two machines, call them A and B.

On machine A I decided to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.2.3

After looking at the requirements for an upgrade install, I decided against it as it was horrid (go to 2.2.1 and so on each with their own details).

So I decided on a fresh install and remove 2.2 via control panel.

It was no big surprise then that my channels were gone upon install of 2.2.3

But I had done a save sync data with 2.2 and tried to do a load sync data with 2.2.3 hoping that would put my channels back, but no it complained about incompatiable versions.

If I look in \Program Files\Awasu\Users I see my name as a subdir and that subdir is full of my channels:

C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\Saddam\Channels

I don't get this as Awasu does not show these channels and there is no other user!?!? Where did it get the name from?

But the big question is how do I get these channels into 2.2.3 and what is the proper way to back up channels in the future (RSS feeds that is)?

THANKS

(next question is how do I get the Channels off machine B which has a different user dir for whatever reason I aint figured).

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:06 am

Saddam wrote:So I decided on a fresh install and remove 2.2 via control panel.

It was no big surprise then that my channels were gone upon install of 2.2.3

That shouldn't happen. The uninstaller only removes files that were installed. Each channel has a new .CHANNEL file created for it to store its configuration and these won't be removed by the installer.

If your channels weren't there when you ran 2.2.3, my first guess would be that you installed 2.2.3 to a different location to where you had 2.2.

<b>IMPORTANT</b>: Upgrading in this way is definitely asking for trouble. The format of configuration files and the archive database changed significantly from 2.2 to 2.2.3 and your existing data files need to be upgraded to work with 2.2.3. Uninstalling 2.2 and installing 2.2.3 on top of it bypasses this upgrade process and is guaranteed not to work.

The upgrade process is not that bad, you just need to make sure you read the instructions carefully. Going from 2.2 to 2.2.1 requires ArchiveMaintenance to be run (to upgrade your database) but 2.2.1 to 2.2.3 just requires a ZIP file to be unpacked.

Saddam wrote:But I had done a save sync data with 2.2 and tried to do a load sync data with 2.2.3 hoping that would put my channels back, but no it complained about incompatiable versions.

That's correct. It's possible to disable this version check but it's generally not a good idea to sync across versions. This feature is intended to let you keep multiple machines sync'ed rather than be a de facto backup mechanism.

Saddam wrote:If I look in \Program Files\Awasu\Users I see my name as a subdir and that subdir is full of my channels:

C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\Saddam\Channels

I don't get this as Awasu does not show these channels and there is no other user!?!? Where did it get the name from?

Awasu uses your logon name. If you have Windows configured to not require a login you may not be aware of what it is but it's still there. It's possible to override this if necessary.

Saddam wrote:But the big question is how do I get these channels into 2.2.3 and what is the proper way to back up channels in the future (RSS feeds that is)?

Have a look around your PC to see if you can find another installation of Awasu. If the only copy of your previous data you have is a 2.2 sync data file, the best way to proceed would be like this:

(*) Un-install Awasu.
(*) Manually delete the installation directory to remove any other files.
(*) Install 2.2
(*) Do a sync load from your saved data file. This will restore your old channels and settings.
(*) Upgrade to 2.2.1 and then 2.2.3

The best way to back up your Awasu is to simply take a copy of the installation directory e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu.

Saddam wrote:next question is how do I get the Channels off machine B which has a different user dir

Use the synchronization feature for this (it will take care of the different user directory for you).

Saddam

Postby Saddam » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:17 pm

<i>
The best way to back up your Awasu is to simply take a copy of the installation directory e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu. </i>

Luckily I did this!

So what should I do, I mean I was not that sure that sync would work so did take a copy of the whole \Awasu program dir.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:46 pm

Saddam wrote:So what should I do, I mean I was not that sure that sync would work so did take a copy of the whole \Awasu program dir.

Restore your Awasu backup and follow the instructions in the 2.2.3 release notes.

Saddam

Postby Saddam » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 am

Restore your Awasu backup
how?

This is so annoying. I've installed 2.2.3 and just in case I save the whole /awasu dir from 2.2. In the /awasu/users dir are two users complete with .channel files.

Why is there so much complication? We are only talking about RSS feed URLs which are just a list or in this case I guess a file for each one plus some folder (tree) information. All I want is these RSS feeds (URLs) back in and it would be great if the structured remained (folders).

Also I'd love to just be able to export a list of my RSS feeds organised as they are in Awasu to a common type of file say .xml to share with others (does not need to be machine readable).

For now I am stumped as to how to get the .channels into 2.2.3

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:50 am

Sorry for the problems you've been having.

Saddam wrote:just in case I save the whole /awasu dir from 2.2.

Yes, this is the best way to back things up :-)

Saddam wrote:In the /awasu/users dir are two users complete with .channel files.

Each user who logs on to the computer and runs Awasu gets their own set of channels, settings, etc. This is necessary since if someone else was using your PC, you wouldn't want them messing with your channels.

The sub-directory in the Users directory is the same as your logon name so if you've got two directories, at some time you've logged in under two different accounts and run Awasu. <b>OR</b> you've backed up an Awasu directory on one PC (where you logon on as Joe, for example) and copied it over to another PC (where you logon as Fred).

Saddam wrote:Why is there so much complication? We are only talking about RSS feed URLs which are just a list or in this case I guess a file for each one plus some folder (tree) information.

Actually, no, it <u>is</u> quite complicated :-) Awasu uses a database to store archived content and the format of this sometimes changes as we add new features. This is why ArchiveMaintenance.exe sometimes needs to be run when you install a new version, to upgrade the database format.

Saddam wrote:Also I'd love to just be able to export a list of my RSS feeds organised as they are in Awasu to a common type of file say .xml to share with others (does not need to be machine readable).

You can do this already. OPML is the standard format used for this kind of thing and you can run a report that exports your channels to an OPML file. You can also write your own template files if you want to export to a different format (look at <tt>ExportOpml.template</tt> to see how it's done).

We are also about to release 2.2.4.alpha1 which includes a built-in Export To OPML feature.

Saddam wrote:For now I am stumped as to how to get the .channels into 2.2.3

The problem is that you've tried to bypass the proper 2.2 -> 2.2.3 upgrade process (because it was "horrid"). In your original post, it sounds like you tried to do a clean install of 2.2.3 and then copy in your 2.2 data files. This is never going to work since the upgrade process is really more about upgrading your data files than the Awasu program files. And if you've been copying files around between different PC's (with different Users sub-directories because you logon using different account names), perhaps with differently-versioned Awasu data files, this is really asking for trouble :-)

To fix this, on machine A:

(*) Delete your existing Awasu directory and replace it with the one you previously backed up (on machine A, not machine B!).
(*) Run it to make sure it's still OK :-) It should be version 2.2 (NOTE: If it crashes on startup, run ResetUi.exe).
(*) Upgrade to 2.2.1. The installation instructions are here (click on the "Upgrade from Awasu 2.2" link).
(*) Run Awasu to make sure it's still OK :-) Check the About box to confirm the version number.
(*) Upgrade to 2.2.3. The installation instructions are here (click on the "Upgrade from Awasu 2.2.1 or 2.2.2" link).
(*) Run Awasu to make sure it's still OK :-) Check the About box to confirm the version number.

Now, do the same thing on machine B.

Once you've got both machines running the same version, you will be able to sync them.

Saddam

Postby Saddam » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:05 pm

OK that list I can follow :)

OK I had two dirs in user

/username1
/username2

username1 was a subset of username2 but username1 is what I log into on this machine. So I reverse named them and when Awasu loads you saw the feeds count up to the total (126) and the folders looked up until the count was done then the folders and feed got called something like "#0".

So I reversed names them again to put them back and it worked but as said I now have a subset of feeds (93). I can live with this, it is better than loosing all.

It is a bit annoying that 33 feeds are missing, but I can live with it. If there is a way to get them back easy let me know. I'm running 2.2 still until I am sure there is no easy way to get the 33 feeds. In fact I will just diff the Dirs and then manually add in the feeds....

THANKS

Saddam

Postby Saddam » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Out of interest I tried copying the missing channels from the superset user dir in and they work BUT they are called "*0" - each of them!

Saddam

Postby Saddam » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:24 pm

Decided just to rename the *0 - lost some folders but that is it so I'm happy enough.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:44 am

Saddam wrote:Out of interest I tried copying the missing channels from the superset user dir in and they work BUT they are called "*0" - each of them!

Yes, this is a consequence of the .CHANNEL files not being upgraded correctly and/or being used with an incorrect version of Awasu :-)

Anyway, glad you finally made it :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”