Courtney

Postby Courtney » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:00 pm

Help! I'm not as swift as the rest of the your world with this OPML thing. I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that I could use it to use Awasu for websites which don't have XML.

But, I'm not quite sure how to do that - and I know you have instructions in the forum, http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140 But I get lost at: - Set the template file to be ExportOpml.template. You'll find it in your Users directory e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME.

How do I do that?

And if I work through this, will this create a way for me to check on sites that don't use XML?

Thanks,

Courtney

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:06 pm

Courtney wrote:will this create a way for me to check on sites that don't use XML?

I think you're on the wrong track for what you want to do. OPML is way to store a list of channel URL's, usually so that you can transfer your subscription list from one machine (or reader) to another.

But I'm guessing what you want to do is monitor a web site that doesn't publish an RSS feed. The easiest way to do this is use something like www.myrss.com and create a new channel there. They will regularly check the web site and try to figure out what is of interest on the page. It's all done automatically so the results can be a bit variable sometimes but it generally works OK.

There are other ways of monitoring sites that don't publish a feed but they are a bit more involved. Give myrss.com a go and if you need something more, let me know.

HTH

Courtney

Postby Courtney » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:13 pm

ah ha!

Thanks so much!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:18 pm

Courtney wrote:ah ha!

It's such a good feeling when you get that :idea: :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”