acj

Postby acj » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:53 pm

Hi there!

I am a new user to Awasu, and also toying around with Channel Hooks.

My question is about the Log Channel Activity Hook. Is there a way to log which exact feed item has been viewed in addition to the generic "MarkFeedItemAsViewed". I guess that I am trying to log more information in the log file. I tried to look at the other channel hook files, but other than the *.hook there are only *.dll files, which I can't decipher.

Thanks in advance!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:54 am

acj wrote:Is there a way to log which exact feed item has been viewed in addition to the generic "MarkFeedItemAsViewed".

Woo hoo! Somebody's looking at channel hooks :-)

Open the properties for the LogChannelActivity hook and set DumpConfigFiles to true. This will log everything that gets sent to hook on each event (it's off by default because there's quite a lot). The parameter you want is FeedItemId.

The path to the config file is passed to the hook as a command line parameter - if you read the doco on writing channel plugins, it is pretty much the same.

One caveat: the RSS spec is depressingly inadequate when it comes to uniquely identifying feed items. If you want to store feed items in a database, for example, you can't rely on this value being unique, even within a single feed returned by the channel :-( I will be revisiting this soon.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”