View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Post Wow! - Restore automatically changed feed URLs
This is the first time I've seen this dialog box. It listed 5 different feeds all coming from Microsoft who's URLs "have changed during this session".

If I read the dialog box correctly, Awasu had already updated my Channels to the new URLs and all I had to do was click the OK button. Also I had the option to click the "Ignore future requests for URL changes" check box and presumably Awasu would just quietly update URLs without notifying me.

Coolness abounds in Awasu-ville! 8) :clap: :coolthumb:

Did I understand this correct?

I guess this is probably in response to an HTTP 301 status code.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Wow! - Restore automatically changed feed URLs
kevotheclone wrote:
This is the first time I've seen this dialog box. It listed 5 different feeds all coming from Microsoft who's URLs "have changed during this session".

Yes, Microsoft have recently updated their blogging platform which caused all their feed URL's to change.

kevotheclone wrote:
If I read the dialog box correctly, Awasu had already updated my Channels to the new URLs and all I had to do was click the OK button. Also I had the option to click the "Ignore future requests for URL changes" check box and presumably Awasu would just quietly update URLs without notifying me.

Sigh... I've never been happy about how complicated this dialog box is and if someone as technical as you can't figure out what's happening, there's definitely something wrong :-(

The reason why it exists at all is explained here and the dialog gives you the option of ignoring the request to change the feed URL's and reverting them back to what they used to be. So, if you want to accept the changed URL's, click Cancel. Similarly, if you tick <i>Ignore future requests for URL changes</i>, Awasu will <i>ignore</i> any requests to change the feed URL (i.e. a <tt>HTTP 301</tt> response) i.e. URL's will never be quietly updated.

Tue May 25, 2010 2:50 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Wow! - Restore automatically changed feed URLs
I first saw this dialog box yesterday morning before I went to work, and in retrospect I know I didn't read it very carefully or click the "More info" link. :oops: I received it again today, probably as a result of my actions yesterday, and I think it does make sense and I totally misread it.

I'm sure that some parts of the text could be worded better, particularly the "Ignore future requests for URL changes" check box; but overall I think it makes sense if the user spends a little time to read the dialog box and the wiki page linked to by the "More info" link.

Anyway it's still cool that you handle the HTTP 301 automatically.

Wed May 26, 2010 2:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]