nreiter

Postby nreiter » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:27 pm

I have been getting the above error on one channel for several days now. I've tried deleting and adding the channel, but of course it won't add because of the error. Could you look at the feed and see what the problem is? It's a Yahoo group, iRider. If you can't do that, can I send you the XML feed that's failing?
-- Ned --

nreiter

Postby nreiter » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:46 pm

Here's some more info. When I open the feed URL in IE6, I get this error:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference to undefined entity 'nbsp'. Error processing resource 'http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iRider/messages?rss=1'. Line 66, Position 55

I normally keep my page list in the default position.  Usually have
------------------------------------------------------^

Apparently it's the   that's causing the problem. Is there any way to make Awasu a little more tolerant of such errors and not just reject the entire feed?
-- Ned --

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:48 pm

nreiter wrote:I have been getting the above error on one channel for several days now. I've tried deleting and adding the channel, but of course it won't add because of the error. Could you look at the feed and see what the problem is?

Sigh... Yahoo! are in the habit of putting out slightly suspect RSS and they're doing it again. The problem is they're including   in their feed item descriptions but this is not valid XML (it's OK in HTML). Not much you can do about this but wait for the bodgy item to disappear from the feed :-(

BTW, if you choose Edit>View last feed, you will see the last feed received for a channel and if an error occurred, you will see exactly what went wrong.

nreiter

Postby nreiter » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:51 pm

Oops, the HTML rendering translated the non-breaking space tag into a space.
-- Ned --

nreiter

Postby nreiter » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:53 pm

It seems our last messages crossed<g>.

Is it not possible to make Awasu more tolerant of such errors? Could tags like that be filtered out of the feed before display?
-- Ned --

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:55 pm

nreiter wrote:Is there any way to make Awasu a little more tolerant of such errors and not just reject the entire feed?

I understand what you're saying but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

The whole point of XML is that it is well-formed and the spec states that any errors be rejected. If you try to work around bad XML, you end up with the situation we have now with the different browsers: they have bent over backwards to accept invalid HTML but they have bent in different ways, giving rise to the massive compatibility problems we have now.

Awasu already works around the most common problem, unescaped ampersands. This particular problem is relatively rare and would be better handled by getting Yahoo! to fix their feeds!!!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:57 pm

nreiter wrote:Is it not possible to make Awasu more tolerant of such errors? Could tags like that be filtered out of the feed before display?

There's a plugin floating around elsewhere in these forums that could be modified to handle this problem if you want to give it a go: http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120

nreiter

Postby nreiter » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:03 pm

support wrote:This particular problem is relatively rare and would be better handled by getting Yahoo! to fix their feeds!!!

You know what the chances of that are<g>.

I'll take a look at the plugin. It's a new programming opportunity for me as I've never written in Python.

Thanks,
-- Ned --

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:06 pm

nreiter wrote:You know what the chances of that are

You might be surprised!

nreiter wrote:I'll take a look at the plugin. It's a new programming opportunity for me as I've never written in Python.

Python is pretty cool and very easy to pick up. I wrote my first ever Perl script as part of that thread too :roll:

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”