ko

Postby ko » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:25 am

I have a very simple request: remove and/or fix the "there is a new version" balloon. For these reasons:

* It appears every time i start awasu.
* it appears for 30 seconds, regardless of the setting i have for balloons.
* it doesn't have a close button unlike every other balloon.
* I am using version 1.1 which is the latest non-beta version of awasu... what is the new version it's talking about? 1.1.3? a beta version for which the download page says warning, warning, install at own risk.

i personally would find the balloon much more useful if it only told me about new non-beta versions of the software. i like awasu and this is, i guess, a minor complaint about a product i use every day.

ko

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:32 am

ko wrote:I have a very simple request: remove and/or fix the "there is a new version" balloon.

This only appears in the free version of Awasu and is a gentle reminder that upgrading to the paid version would be very much appreciated :-) As far as freeware nags go, it's pretty innocuous - you don't have to click on it or do anything to actually start the program.

The warnings about the betas are perhaps a little overdone but we are very much trying to accomodate non-technical people and realize that unpacking a zip file and copying files around is too much for some people. If you are in the least bit technical, it won't be a problem for you to upgrade and it's well worth doing since the latest beta is *way* better than 1.1 :-)

ko

Postby ko » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:27 pm

Ok, i didn't realise it was a freeware nag, it says there is a new version, not if you like awasu, please upgrade to the paid version. I would suggest changing it to have different wording. it's your prerogative to have it in as a freeware nag, I guess my main point is I just don't want to know about the new version which doesn't exist.

btw, it is a very nice freeware nag, as you say, don't have to click anything, don't have to wait for a time out before the program lets you in.

I'll upgrade later today.

Thanks for your help :)

ko

Postby ko » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:03 pm

My apologies, i was doing the previous messages from memory. i've just restarted awasu and it does say "upgrade" rather than "there is a new version". must be my mind playing tricks again.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:38 am

ko wrote:My apologies, i was doing the previous messages from memory. i've just restarted awasu and it does say "upgrade" rather than "there is a new version". must be my mind playing tricks again.

Actually, you're not the first person to point out (correctly) that this message can be a little misleading. I'll change it. Thanks for the feedback.

And I'll say it again: such a cute avatar! :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”