Postby Guest » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:24 pm

After running a feed in Awasu, it generates a file associated with that feed in the following location:

c:\program files\Awasu\Users\Administrator\Logs

The filename has an .rss extension, looks like an XML file of sorts.

I am looking for a simple XSLT Template that can translate this file. That way, I can use the Awasu generated file on my web site.

Anyone have an XSLT template they can spare?

Thanks.
diver

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:28 pm

This file is a copy of the last feed downloaded.

What do you want to translate it into? Depending on what exactly you want to do, you might be able to do things using reports - you only have to write an HTML template file which is a bit easier than XSLT :-)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:37 pm

The file that is generated, as you know, is a 'list' of the generated rss feed... i.e., includes the title, the subject, the url and the rss feed url, etc..

So, one thing (among others) I would like to do, is to take this file and as you say... transform it into HTML so it can be view directly with a web page.

XSLT, as I have known it, literally is taking the XML and building an HTML view. Perhaps I overlooked something huge here... does Awasu have the capability of creating a report from this file right into HTML? Gosh I read the manual, I must have overlooked something!

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:The file that is generated, as you know, is a 'list' of the generated rss feed... i.e., includes the title, the subject, the url and the rss feed url, etc..

The file you are looking at is not generated, it is downloaded as is from each web site and is the RSS feed itself. Awasu parses this file to figure out what each feed actually consists of.

Anonymous wrote:So, one thing (among others) I would like to do, is to take this file and as you say... transform it into HTML so it can be view directly with a web page.

XSLT, as I have known it, literally is taking the XML and building an HTML view. Perhaps I overlooked something huge here... does Awasu have the capability of creating a report from this file right into HTML? Gosh I read the manual, I must have overlooked something!

XSLT is the "correct" (and cool :-)) way of converting the RSS feed into HTML but you need to know XSLT which can be a little difficult. If you don't want to learn it, Awasu's reports are an easier way of achieving the same result.

Awasu has the ability to combine information from one or more channels and put it all together into a report. Choose View, Channel reports from the main menu to see a list of pre-defined reports. Run the "New content" report - this will scan all your channels for new content and lists it all in a single page.

Reports are not really designed for converting a channel's feed to HTML but it can still be done like this:

- create a channel filter that only includes the channel in question (e.g. by filtering on the feed URL or title).
- create a new report that uses this channel filter and lists all the content from that channel
- you will also probably want to store the report in a file somewhere (instead of just viewing it in Awasu).

A walk-though of creating channel filters is here: http://www.awasu.com/help/ChannelFilterExample/

For info on reports, check the "Productivity tools" section in the help: http://www.awasu.com/help/1.1/index.php

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:33 pm

Well... I tried that earlier, but the report is generated within Awasu's browser window. I cannot get to that ChannelReport anywhere else. Heck, I even went out to the Reports subdirectory to see if I could grab this channel report for use elsewhere, but it is nowhere to be found. My guess is that the report you have generated is somehow internally generated but not saved to disk? I don't just want to "copy and paste" the channel report either, I'm trying to automate this task.

?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:My guess is that the report you have generated is somehow internally generated but not saved to disk?

If you open the report's configuration dialog, there is a field near the bottom called "Output file". By default, the report will be saved to a temp file but you can control exactly where it is saved by entering a file path here. Make sure the extension is correct :-)

There is also an "Auto-generate interval" setting where you can get Awasu to automatically re-generate the report at regular intervals.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:04 am

Aha. Very cool. I liked it...
One day I hope to create a universal XSLT sheet... I've got some experience doing them with database stuff... and I've seen articles out on the web where you can write a generic stylesheet that will fit most XML files.

Thanks

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”