Booboo

Postby Booboo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:37 am

I already found the following. But it does not give me any tangible actionable instructions :D

Integrating with TiddlyWiki TiddlyWiki is a single-page wiki that you can use as a personal notebook. It can be integrated with Awasu by creating a Send To tool like this:

mshta.exe "long_style_path_to_your_TiddlyWiki_file.HTA#newTiddler:%22{%title%}%22"

These Send To tools only create new Tiddlers with the title of the current feed item, because that's all the newTiddler startup method provides but TiddlyWiki features a plugin architecture, so you should be able to create a new startup method that would accept the feed title, description, and any feed categories which would be become the new Tiddler's tags.
Booboo

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:04 am

"Create a Send-To tool" = from the Tools menu, choose Organize user tools (if you want to create a page-based Send-To, or right-click in a channel's item page, choose Send to, then Organize (if you want to create an item-based one).

Click on the green plus icon to create a new tool, then in the Command field, enter the MSHTA command kevotheclone gave. Give it a name, click OK.

Booboo

Postby Booboo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:06 am

Great. That sounds more meaty. Thanks for putting up with me
Booboo

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:20 am

I'm working on a full Awasu Wiki page for this topic, but I've got 5 Channel Reports I'm trying to add to the wiki first, so in the meantime here's the short story...

First if you haven't already done so you should try out TiddlyWiki on its own and see if it's "works for you". Learn how to create new "Tiddlers", how to tag Tiddlers, how to search for and edit existing Tiddlers, how to import Tiddlers between different TiddlyWiki files. But I guess if you're asking about integrating TiddlyWiki with Awasu you've probably already done some of this...

You can use TiddlyWiki as either an .HTML or an .HTA extension, and there are a couple of differences. I use TiddlyWiki with an .HTA file extension and I add a special HTML element that will make sure that I can only run one instance of it at a time. Note: Renaming it as an .HTA file means that it'll run in Internet Explorer not Firefox, Chrome or any other web browser. That special element is the <hta:application... /> element (shown below) and it provides some special customizations like singleinstance="yes". There's one catch as an .HTA file, always make sure you save your TiddlyWiki before you close it. Even though it will prompt you that "you have unsaved changes, are you sure you want to exit?"; no matter what you answer in the .HTA version you'll exit and lose your changes.

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>

<hta:application id="appTiddlyWiki"
  applicationname="TiddlyWiki"
  border="thin"
  innerborder="no"
  icon="%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"
  scroll="auto"
  scrollflat="yes"
  singleinstance="yes"
  contextmenu="yes"
  minimizeButton="yes"
  maximizeButton="yes"
  navigable="yes"
  version="1.0"/>

The way User and Send to Tools interface with TiddlyWiki would be different if you're using an .HTA vs. an .HTML file.

In addition to what we've already posted on the Wiki and Forum you can create a User Tool that runs an .HTA based TiddlyWiki like this:

Code: Select all

mshta "long_style_path_to_your_TiddlyWiki_file.HTA"

Well I guess that's the "short" version of the TiddlyWiki story. :lol:
More to come on the Awasu Wiki...

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 am

My TiddlyWiki mini-rant

I first heard of TiddlyWiki about 1.5 years ago on an IT podcast, where they interviewed Jeremy Ruston, TiddlyWiki's creator. So I tried TiddlyWiki out and I didn't really like it. I think I was skeptical about the HTML file saving over itself (even though it saves backups by default) and I think I wasn't crazy about each Tiddler "zooming" open on top of the other open Tiddlers, I think I wanted a more page-oriented wiki.

I not sure what it was that led me back to TiddlyWiki. I probably read somebody else ranting and raving about it so I gave it another try and this time I was hooked.

• I like the non-linear nature of TiddlyWiki
    With a Word document when you first open it up it always starts at the top of the document. I know how to add a dynamic table of contents (TOC) to a Word document and that help the situation, but scrolling back up to the top (Ctrl+Home) to click another TOC entry has never been satisfying for me.
  • I like being able to tag Tiddlers with multiple tags (increases findability)
    This is difficult/impossible to do with Word document. You can add Bookmarks, but it's impossible to "tag" (bookmark) some topic matter that is non-contiguous with the same exact bookmark.
  • I like the fact that it is self contained and portable
  • I like the search capabilities
  • I like the date/time stamps on each Tiddler and the Timeline list
  • I like the fact that it can produce an RSS feed
  • I like the fact that you can import Tiddlers from other TiddlyWiki files
  • I like the fact that TiddlyWiki is extensible (like Awasu) and because these extensions are just regular Tiddlers that contain JavaScript and are tagged with "systemConfig" they can be imported quickly and easily, like any other Tiddler

There's probably some other things that I like about TiddlyWiki, but it's getting late. :sleepy:
If anyone out there decides to try TiddlyWiki be sure to try editing the "DefaultTiddlers" and "MainMenu" Tiddlers as these will affect what is initially displayed when you open your TiddlyWiki file and thus make certain Tiddlers more accessible. What to change the colors? Edit the "ColorPalette" Tiddler.

There's active group of developers working on TiddlyWiki extensions, a large library of extensions already developed, several domain-specific implementations of TiddlyWiki for various special purposes... too much to list.
:asleep:

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”