halinagold

Postby halinagold » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:26 am

I just upgraded to Internet Explorer 7.0 and am in the process of exploring the RSS reader that's included. It looks good to me.
I'd same the same about Microsoft Outlook 2007.

What do you think of it - compared to Awasu of course?

Thanks
Halina

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:12 pm

halinagold wrote:What do you think of it - compared to Awasu of course?

They're both fine but it really depends on what your needs are. IE's new feed reader, like Firefox's, is fine if you've just got a few feeds that you want to monitor but can you imagine using it if you've got hundreds? And while some people live inside Outlook, some people detest it (or at least don't use it :-)). There are a lot of similarities between email and RSS, they are not exactly the same and it doesn't always make sense to conflate the two.

They're both what I call "dumb" news readers. They pull down huge amounts of information but don't do anything with it other than just dump it all on your lap for you to figure out what to do with it :roll: This is exemplified best by news readers that force you to delete items. We're already drowning in the flood of information that's rolling in and it's a specific design goal of Awasu not to force you to micro-manage your content down to that level. It's a good example of how trying to fit RSS into the same model we use for email doesn't always work.

Awasu's real power lies in its channel hooks that let you do something with the information when it arrives, and plugin channels that let you get information from any source, not just web-based feeds. I've written about this topic many times and it's the key principle upon which Awasu is built. And this is on top of all the other more traditional features Awasu offers, like reports, offline reading, synchronization and even more synchronization :-)

So it's really about what you need. For simple use, IE or Firefox or the many online feed readers are fine (and it's great that they will introduce a lot of new people to feeds) but if you need something with a bit more grunt, well you're already here... :wink: :cool:

halinagold

Postby halinagold » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:18 pm

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this - it does help

All the best
Halina

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”