MarkusJ

Postby MarkusJ » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:29 pm

I've scanned the help text and web site and have not had much luck finding out how secure it is to use Awasu. I'd like to get answers to the following questions, especially since .xml is now becoming a new venue of malicious attacks on PCs.

1. Does Awasu have a mechanism similar to IE's Internet Options/Security?

2. Does Awasu sit behind IE's Internet security and is thereby subject to IE's security by default?

3. Does Awasu allow the user to disable execution of RSS auto-execute content? Sorry if that is not a techie correct question as I've just stumbled across RSS news aggregators. I'm looking for something similar to IE's ability to disable, for example, the various types of 'script' executions that are frequently used maliciously.

4. What is Awasu's philosophy regarding providing it's user's a safe and sane experience and protecting their system(s) from malicious and unrequested intrusions?

Many thanks for your fine product work...

markusJ

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:25 pm

MarkusJ wrote:1. Does Awasu have a mechanism similar to IE's Internet Options/Security?

What exactly are you looking for? If you're talking about trusted/untrusted sites, not specifically but see (3)

MarkusJ wrote:2. Does Awasu sit behind IE's Internet security and is thereby subject to IE's security by default?

Awasu uses IE as its embedded browser and so everything about IE holds.

MarkusJ wrote:3. Does Awasu allow the user to disable execution of RSS auto-execute content? Sorry if that is not a techie correct question as I've just stumbled across RSS news aggregators. I'm looking for something similar to IE's ability to disable, for example, the various types of 'script' executions that are frequently used maliciously.

Not exactly but it offers something that has the same effect. Since 1.1.2, you can control how the content is displayed: Normal (show the content as it is received), Excerpt (show only a brief summary) and Plain Text. The last two strip all HTML tags from the content which also has the effect of removing any nasty stuff. You can do this on a per-channel basis or as a global setting so that it applies to all of your channels. We also want to add a Safe mode in the near future that strips the nasty HTML but leaves the safe stuff intact.

MarkusJ wrote:4. What is Awasu's philosophy regarding providing it's user's a safe and sane experience and protecting their system(s) from malicious and unrequested intrusions?

We have been working with a number of people trying to make Awasu a safer browser in the this respect. As always, it is a tradeoff between security and convenience/functionality. The FAQ also describes how you can replace IE with Mozilla which will also help :-D

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”