TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:01 pm

O.K.: I've been surfing EVERYWHERE for a news aggregator. Read lots of reviews. Now testing NewzCrawler, FeedDemon, RSS Owl and Awasu. I like the look, functions and feel of Awasu and would prefer to just use it. But, since I'm a noob :shock: I'm gonna need help to test these in the Trial Edition before I hand over my $60...

1. your .chm file isn't integrated with the program, so I downloaded its file to the Awasu program directory. The Help file now opens with topic headings, BUT without contents. How to fix??

2. I'd rather pay you for Awasu - than some company like Google - for synchronization of my two news aggregator installations. Rather keep my data in my hands whenever possible.

But, I need a mostly no-brainer way to synchronize. Is there an FTP option or a different Awasu user site to synchronize the contents of the two different client machine installations? I'd prefer this rather than loading it on a flash drive or e-mailing it to myself and installing.

Also....

3. the alphabetical Channel sorts are really important for left-brainers, so I'd encourage you to release that as quickly as possible.

4. mouse-over balloons above icons to de-mystify icons would be very helpful and quickly encourage new adopters of your program.

5. your program seems to play nicely with Zone Lab's Internet Security Suite. That's a good thing because NewzCrawler, my second choice doesn't seem to and it freezes.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:24 pm

TrackSnakeLA wrote:1. your .chm file isn't integrated with the program, so I downloaded its file to the Awasu program directory. The Help file now opens with topic headings, BUT without contents. How to fix??

I take it you're seeing the index down the left side of the window but no actual content in the right pane?

Are you running Windows XP SP2? Microsoft changed something in this release that broke CHM's. Check out the links here for more info.

TrackSnakeLA wrote:Is there an FTP option or a different Awasu user site to synchronize the contents of the two different client machine installations?

Yes, both the Advanced and Pro Editions let you sync via FTP. They also let you execute an arbitrary command (e.g. SCP) to send and receive the sync data, if you prefer. You can find a comparison of the different Editions here.

TrackSnakeLA wrote:3. the alphabetical Channel sorts are really important for left-brainers, so I'd encourage you to release that as quickly as possible.

This is the default behaviour.

TrackSnakeLA wrote:. mouse-over balloons above icons to de-mystify icons would be very helpful and quickly encourage new adopters of your program.

You should see the little yellow balloons pop up when you mouse over the toolbar buttons. Hints also appear in the status bar at the bottom of the window when you mouse over them and menu items.

I should also point out that the next version will be released in a few weeks and it's way better than 2.2 :-) If you're interested, shoot us an email/PM and I'll get a trial version of 2.3 out to you.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:32 pm

TrackSnakeLA wrote:2. I'd rather pay you for Awasu - than some company like Google - for synchronization of my two news aggregator installations.

So would we :-)

I forgot to add that Awasu also has the ability to synchronize with other feed readers. Currently, Bloglines, Google Reader and Gregarius are supported but the framework is extensible and we hope to add more as they become available.

TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:06 pm

support wrote:
TrackSnakeLA wrote:1. your .chm file isn't integrated with the program, so I downloaded its file to the Awasu program directory. The Help file now opens with topic headings, BUT without contents. How to fix??

I take it you're seeing the index down the left side of the window but no actual content in the right pane?

Are you running Windows XP SP2? Microsoft changed something in this release that broke CHM's. Check out the links here for more info.

Your link solved it. I Unblocked the file Properties and now it shows correctly in the GUI.

TrackSnakeLA wrote:Is there an FTP option or a different Awasu user site to synchronize the contents of the two different client machine installations?

Yes, both the Advanced and Pro Editions let you sync via FTP. They also let you execute an arbitrary command (e.g. SCP) to send and receive the sync data, if you prefer. You can find a comparison of the different Editions here.

[color=#blue]Thanks. I'll go back and look at it again.[/color]

TrackSnakeLA wrote:3. the alphabetical Channel sorts are really important for left-brainers, so I'd encourage you to release that as quickly as possible.

This is the default behaviour.

TrackSnakeLA wrote:. mouse-over balloons above icons to de-mystify icons would be very helpful and quickly encourage new adopters of your program.

You should see the little yellow balloons pop up when you mouse over the toolbar buttons. Hints also appear in the status bar at the bottom of the window when you mouse over them and menu items.

Yep, I noticed them on the Toolbar, and would also find them helpful over other icons.

I should also point out that the next version will be released in a few weeks and it's way better than 2.2 :-) If you're interested, shoot us an email/PM and I'll get a trial version of 2.3 out to you.

Thanks. Has your code for 2.3 gelled? If not yet, I'd prefer to wait for its release to avoid beta issues. I'm having this inexplicable urge to reach for my wallet.

BTW, I drive a Pontiac GTO, which is, you probably know, a re-badged Holden Monard. My brother-in-law's also Oz, but he was a package deal with a wedding.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:17 am

TrackSnakeLA wrote:Has your code for 2.3 gelled? If not yet, I'd prefer to wait for its release to avoid beta issues.

Yes, the code is complete and we're working now on updating the installer and documentation now.

The betas are actually very stable and well-tested. They're called that more because of the way they're packaged: ZIP files (and sometimes one or two additional steps to complete the upgrade) rather than an installer EXE that does everything for you.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”