jbraum

Postby jbraum » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:34 pm

When I right-click on an RSS icon and click 'Subscribe in Awasu' I receive an http 500 error. This is the URL that it is attempting to use: http://127.0.0.1:2604/subscribe?url=htt ... m/news.rss.

However, if I change to URL to:

http://localhost:2604/subscribe?url=htt ... m/news.rss

it then works.

Is there a way to configure Awasu to do this, or do I need to change something with my Linksys DSL/Cable router?

Thanks for your help!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:09 am

This is really weird. Awasu specifically uses 127.0.0.1 to avoid exactly this kind of problem :roll:

Awasu never returns a 500 error so I strongly suspect that something else is trapping the request and rejecting it. Are you running a personal firewall or web server or something like that?

Something else to try is the Syndic8 plugin and see if that works - it uses a similar mechanism to communicate with the main program. And what version are you running? Maybe upgrading to the latest beta might help.

jbraum

Postby jbraum » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:58 pm

support wrote:This is really weird. Awasu specifically uses 127.0.0.1 to avoid exactly this kind of problem :roll:

Awasu never returns a 500 error so I strongly suspect that something else is trapping the request and rejecting it. Are you running a personal firewall or web server or something like that?

Something else to try is the Syndic8 plugin and see if that works - it uses a similar mechanism to communicate with the main program. And what version are you running? Maybe upgrading to the latest beta might help.

I upgraded to the latest beta 1.1.3, tried the plugin, and made sure ports 2405 and 2406 are forwarded to my machine running awasu, and I still get the same error. I also disabled the auto-popup window killer on my google toolbar, but to no avail.

If it would use localhost rather than 127.0.0.1 the problem would be fixed. Is there a registry key or some setting to change this?

Thanks!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:16 pm

jbraum wrote:I upgraded to the latest beta 1.1.3, tried the plugin, and made sure ports 2405 and 2406 are forwarded to my machine running awasu

Um, what exactly do mean by "forwarding to your machine running Awasu"? Are you trying to click the link on a machine different to the one running Awasu?

Unfortunately, this is not something that is currently configurable.

Oh, and the required ports are 2604/5, not 2405/6 :-)

mrance
Site Admin

Postby mrance » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:18 am

jbraum wrote:If it would use localhost rather than 127.0.0.1 the problem would be fixed. Is there a registry key or some setting to change this?

Thanks!

DSL configurations can be a real pain and I would guess that what you are experiencing here is related to this. I wouldnt like to second guess the settings within your DSL configuration but if you could ping localhost and let us know what this maps to it may well be enlightening. It might be possible to have awasu retry localhost if 127.0.0.1 fails, but this would be a bad undesirable hack as 127.0.0.1 should (by definition) always map to the local pc.

jbraum

Postby jbraum » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:19 am

mrance wrote:
jbraum wrote:If it would use localhost rather than 127.0.0.1 the problem would be fixed. Is there a registry key or some setting to change this?

Thanks!

DSL configurations can be a real pain and I would guess that what you are experiencing here is related to this. I wouldnt like to second guess the settings within your DSL configuration but if you could ping localhost and let us know what this maps to it may well be enlightening. It might be possible to have awasu retry localhost if 127.0.0.1 fails, but this would be a bad undesirable hack as 127.0.0.1 should (by definition) always map to the local pc.

ping locallost resulted in 127.0.0.1

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:05 pm

jbraum wrote:ping locallost resulted in 127.0.0.1

We've been doing a bit of digging around for this one. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find too much :-( Somebody was having a similar problem with Radio and a Linksys wireless router here: http://radio.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$28501#28505. Maybe useful.

It really sounds like something is running on your machine that is trapping the request to 127.0.0.1. There is not much Awasu can do about this since the request is being intercepted and rejected before Awasu ever gets to see it. Maybe your router manufacturer can help you out and confirm if it's them that's letting localhost get through but not 127.0.0.1 (which is a *really* bad thing to be doing).

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”