pwrgeo

Postby pwrgeo » Mon May 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Hello- I have been testing your RSS reader with a SharePoint project and have a question.

On MS SharePoint the 'lists' have RSS feeds, and if a user subscribes to these feeds they can see the list item and its corresponding fields. This works great.

My question is, when a list item is deleted from SharePoint the Awasu does not update its view of the list and delete the item in Awasu accordingly. If I change a field of data in the list item Awasu will show the updated/modified data field just fine.

When Awasu 'refreshes' its RSS feed, I need it to show the actual items so if the item has been deleted from SharePoint, it should disappear from the Awasu view.

Thanks for any help. As I said, we would like to use your product and purchase licenses so hopefully there is a config setting to allow me this 're-fresh' feature.

Thanks.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm

pwrgeo wrote:My question is, when a list item is deleted from SharePoint the Awasu does not update its view of the list and delete the item in Awasu accordingly. If I change a field of data in the list item Awasu will show the updated/modified data field just fine.

Yes, most feed readers will work this way. RSS is not really intended to work as a synchronization mechanism, it's a means of publishing information. It's like a daily newspaper, when today's paper comes out, it doesn't make yesterday's stories disappear, they are still available for reading.

pwrgeo wrote:When Awasu 'refreshes' its RSS feed, I need it to show the actual items so if the item has been deleted from SharePoint, it should disappear from the Awasu view.

There isn't a native setting for this but it should be possible to write a plugin to do this.

But what exactly are you trying to achieve? Doing things this way means that your users will lose the historical record of what was in the feed, and you will lose a lot of the benefit of using Awasu.

pwrgeo

Postby pwrgeo » Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Within SharePoint, each 'list' can have different 'views'. A view is a type of pre-canned sort. I (as a AP user) will have criteria- my name and field status='approved=yes' as a 'view' called USERXApproved. USERXApproved has an RSS feed. So- I would like to subscribe to that RSS feed and see all my AP items that have been approved. This works great.

Now, when I have deleted an item from the 'view' such as approved=no, the view in SharePoint will show that item being not in the 'view'. BUT, Awasu has already 'loaded' it and if I refresh, it will not go away even though in the SharePoint view its not there.

When I click the stale item in Awasu to access it in SharePoint, I get the Sharepoint error item not found which is what I expect since it is gone.

I have users that are heavy SharePoint users and we were wanting to use an RSS reader such as Awasu as a single point data aggregator. This would be very powerfull for them since they only have to look at Awasu/RSS reader and not check many SharePoint sites for changes to their items.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Roughly how many feeds would each user be monitoring? Do you just want a single point of access to these feeds, or do you want to use some other Awasu features e.g. search, reports?

pwrgeo

Postby pwrgeo » Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 pm

I would like a setting in the ini or .channel file that made Awasu do a 'real refresh' on that feed if set to do so.

To answer your question, I as an AP user could be monitoring many facilities and their associated 'Approval' lists. So, I may want to search for "Awasu Ltd" and see what invoices are outstanding. "Awasu Ltd" would be in a field named Company in my RSS feed item. This works now.

pwrgeo

Postby pwrgeo » Tue May 21, 2013 1:37 pm

The curious thing is Awasu will 'see' a field change in a item when it refreshes so to me it looks like it is updating.

It just doesn't delete it if the item is actually gone.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 am

pwrgeo wrote:The curious thing is Awasu will 'see' a field change in a item when it refreshes so to me it looks like it is updating.

It just doesn't delete it if the item is actually gone.

Yes, this is correct behaviour. You probably won't find an RSS reader that behaves the way you describe - RSS just wasn't intended to work that way.

Let me have a ponder over the best way to do this and I'll shoot you an email.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 pm

This probably won't help, but I'll mention it anyway:

Awasu allows you to control how long a feed item is archived, with the minimum value being 1 day. This "Keep content for" setting can be set globally and/or individually on a feed-by-feed basis. So you could easily set Awasu to do a full refresh every 24 hours.

Awasu also has a setting for "Track revised items" and "Show revised item separately" which may help depending upon the feed that SharePoint produces.

Set "Keep content for" globally here:
Tools --> Options --> Archive

Set "Keep content for", "Track revised items", and "Show revised item separately" at the Channel level here:
Channel Properties --> Advanced

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed May 22, 2013 6:18 pm

kevotheclone wrote:Awasu allows you to control how long a feed item is archived, with the minimum value being 1 day.

Actually, that's the plan for handling this behaviour - add a new option to that list: "Never archive content." This means that what Awasu tracks will strictly be what's in the feed XML.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”