glarkin
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:33 pm
Contact:

Postby glarkin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi there,

I am using Awasu Pro 2.2.5. I've got it subscribed to an RSS feed that is HTTP basic authenticated and located on an SSL server. I am able to receive the feed data after entering the username and password required by the server.

The problem is that any link or image that shows up in the feed data is also HTTP basic authenticated and located in the same directory tree as the feed URL. Awasu does not appear to be sending the username/password to retrieve the images, since they all appear broken. If I load the image URL directly in IE, then I get an authentication prompt and am able to view the image after entering the username/password.

Did I misconfigure the feed, or is Awasu only sending authentication data when accessing the feed URL?

Thank you,
Greg Larkin
SourceHosting.net, LLC
[i]Ready. Set. Code.[/i]

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:56 am

glarkin wrote:is Awasu only sending authentication data when accessing the feed URL?

That's correct. When rendering the web page, it's the browser's responsibility to get all the images and anything else it needs to draw the page.

I'm not sure if there's a way for a program like Awasu to pass authentication details on to the MSHTML browser control to handle this situation. I got it to work by opening an IE window, downloading the feed and ticking <i>Remember my password</i>, and *then* starting Awasu.

glarkin
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:33 pm
Contact:

Postby glarkin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:20 pm

support wrote:
glarkin wrote:is Awasu only sending authentication data when accessing the feed URL?

That's correct. When rendering the web page, it's the browser's responsibility to get all the images and anything else it needs to draw the page.

I'm not sure if there's a way for a program like Awasu to pass authentication details on to the MSHTML browser control to handle this situation. I got it to work by opening an IE window, downloading the feed and ticking <i>Remember my password</i>, and *then* starting Awasu.


Forgive me if this is totally off-base because I'm not a Windows programmer, but I did find this in the MSDN:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775080.aspx

It appears to be an interface that a client app implements so the MSHTML control can obtain basic authentication information.

If this works, could Awasu detect when the feed URL and the content URL are located in the same protected parent URL and provide basic authentication to MSHTML?

Thank you,
Greg Larkin
SourceHosting.net, LLC
[i]Ready. Set. Code.[/i]

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:26 am

glarkin wrote:It appears to be an interface that a client app implements so the MSHTML control can obtain basic authentication information.

Cool, I think that's it! I'll see what I can do with it.

Thanks :-)

glarkin
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:33 pm
Contact:

Postby glarkin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:44 am

support wrote:
glarkin wrote:It appears to be an interface that a client app implements so the MSHTML control can obtain basic authentication information.

Cool, I think that's it! I'll see what I can do with it.

Thanks :-)


Awesome - if you need anyone to test it, I'll be happy to do so!

Regards,
Greg
SourceHosting.net, LLC
[i]Ready. Set. Code.[/i]


Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests