empedia

Postby empedia » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:25 pm

Hi,

I just have a question of the use of the item pane.

In other aggregators which implement a 3 pane view the item pane creates a kind of table of contents for items in a channel.

When an item is clicked it would show the details for the item as contained in the RSS feed in a details pane with the option of clicking on the title in the summary pane taking you direct to the page the feed came from. (Sharpreader being an example of this)

Alternatively in aggregators which implement a newspaper type summary page, clicking on the item in the item pane would scroll down the summary page to the relevant item details where the title would again be a hyperlink to the originating web site.

In Awasu however it seems clicking on the title in the item pane completely bypasses the summary information in the RSS feed altogether and just navigates directly to the original web site.

Is there any way of making Awasu use the item as a bookmark into the summary for the feed as per my second example.

9.5 times out of ten I would only read the summary info and navigating direct to the original URL is completely unnecessary and to my way of looking at things goes against the purpose of an aggregator.

If I do want to navigate to the original URL I have the choice of clicking on the link from the summary page or using the workpad to save the URL for later.

I hope this explanation is clear enough if not I'd be happy to clarify what I mean.

Thanks,

Matthew.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:18 pm

I usually only read the summaries as well. The best thing to do is to go to the Program Options dialog and enable "Auto-hide feed items" (in the Display page). One of the effects of this switch is to hide the item pane when channels are first opened, giving a newspaper-style mode of operation.

A few people have pointed out that Awasu behaves differently to other aggregators but I find that this is a much more efficient way of managing a large number of feeds. I can open up a channel and quickly scan the summary to see if there's anything of interest. I also have Awasu configured to only show items I have not yet read.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”