awasu.user

Postby awasu.user » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 am

AVG found virus in Awasu file. Virus is indetified as HTML:HideSeoSpam-A [trj] in one file in AppData/Local/Awasu/Logs directory. I can't type name of file here because file is quarantined and locked by AntiVirus. Malwarebyte not found threats. So what is going on?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:09 am

This is a false positive, and not something to worry about.

When Awasu downloads a feed, it stores a copy in a file on your PC, and it's this that AVG has found and flagged. The file you sent me is a normal HTML page, not an XML feed, so I think what's happened is that you've somehow managed to create a channel that has its feed URL set to the web site's home page, instead of its feed. Awasu has downloaded this, stored it in a file on your PC, and AVG has flagged it. I don't know exactly what AVG has spotted, but given that it's called "HideSeoSpam", there's probably some funky SEO stuff embedded in the page.

Awasu never opens this HTML file, so the funky SEO stuff never gets run, so it's completely benign.

BTW, even if it were a proper feed XML, that contained malicious content, Awasu will remove it before showing it to you in a browser, so even if the website gets hacked and bad stuff gets inserted into the feed, Awasu will keep you safe.

awasu.user

Postby awasu.user » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 am

I used few times autodetect of RSS link. I can't locate them, but Awasu do great job for me and suggested RSS URL channel. So it is this situation. Is a posibility see list of channels where Awasu potentialy dangerous tags was removed?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 am

awasu.user wrote:Is a posibility see list of channels where Awasu potentialy dangerous tags was removed?

Not really, but when you open a channel, Awasu can show you where it has removed content. You need to turn on "Show "content removed" icon" (Program Options | Advanced tab | Safe feed content).

There used to be a tooltip that showed what had been removed if you moved your mouse over the icon, but that got broken at some point in the past, but has been fixed for the next release (out in a week or two).

awasu.user

Postby awasu.user » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Where should be a icon? I can't find any. I try click on channel feed and find icon on list of articles on the right side.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:38 pm

awasu.user wrote:Where should be a icon?

It will appear inline in the browser page, at the point where the content was removed (it has a little Awasu logo, and says "content removed').

In cases like this, you can set up a little test feed in a file on your PC, with, say, a <script> tag in the item content, then subscribe to it in Awasu.

Or, Awasu's ad filtering feature also uses the same icon - turn it on in Program Options, Display tab, Filters, Content tab, tick "Automatically get definitions from Awasu servers" and "Show 'content removed' icon". You might have more luck seeing ads in feeds in the wild.

awasu.user

Postby awasu.user » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:22 am

support wrote: "Automatically get definitions from Awasu servers"

Awasu get data from Awasu servers? What does mean?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:04 am

awasu.user wrote:Awasu get data from Awasu servers? What does mean?

Ads are identified by looking for certain content embedded in the feed. Awasu regularly downloads rules from awasu.com for identifying this content, so if the advertisers change how they embed their ads in feeds, we can update these rules and your Awasu will get them and start blocking the new ads.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”