Dierschow

Postby Dierschow » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:04 pm

I have periodically seen a blank window show up on my screen after booting, which says "Retrieving and analyzing crash data". This morning it happened again, and I saw the Awasu logo flash by when it started going.

I find this disturbing, because it sits there hitting my disk for an incredibly long time - 15 minutes so far this morning - without giving me any information about what it's doing or why.

Can anybody tell me why it makes sense for Awasu to scan my disk for 15 minutes? Should I trust this software?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:50 pm

Dierschow wrote:I have periodically seen a blank window show up on my screen after booting, which says "Retrieving and analyzing crash data". This morning it happened again, and I saw the Awasu logo flash by when it started going.

I find this disturbing, because it sits there hitting my disk for an incredibly long time - 15 minutes so far this morning - without giving me any information about what it's doing or why.

Can anybody tell me why it makes sense for Awasu to scan my disk for 15 minutes? Should I trust this software?

If we were going to do something malicious on your computer, we wouldn't wait until we had crashed to do it :-)

We use a third-party component called Black Box that detects crashes and gathers information about the crash that you can email to us (if you want) so we can figure out what happened and fix the problem. This component doesn't collect any other information or scan your hard disk or anything like that. If you're interested, you can find the source for BlackBox here: http://www.codeproject.com/tools/blackbox.asp There is also a screenshot of what you see (we have replaced the logo with ours).

Crash detection is a bit of a black art. If the program has gotten so messed up that it has crashed, then trying to continue on and do something useful (i.e. collect the crash details) is a bit of a hit-and-miss affair and so it's not surprising that BlackBox sometimes gets confused and hangs or gets stuck in a loop. This sounds like what is happening to you. The fact that Awasu is crashing before Windows has fully started only makes things worse :-)

As far as the crash itself goes, what version are you running (check the About box)? It sounds like you have the option to automatically start Awasu when you log in turned on. There was a crashing bug in very early versions of Awasu when this was enabled so you might want to consider upgrading to the latest beta.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”