RiskiOne

Postby RiskiOne » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:35 pm

Why does my curiousity take me half way around the world? :lol:

It all started while making my dailey visit to lockergnome.com and my extending my reads to this RSS stuff. I've been reading for days and still not sure, but I was hooked after reading a thread on RSS at Chris' forum between Magic Speller (in search of an aggregator), t_muraoka (affiliated with Awasu) and others.

Although everyone had their own favorite and some posts were very informative, I felt that this is were I need to go to get my feet wet. Just want everyone to know that I'm pretty much a noob, rookie, greenhorn or your basic ijut :lol: For some reason, I get the impression that this RSS will become more prevelent in the future with newsletters and such. I don't have as much confidence in our new spam laws as others. I try to learn by subscribing to various newsletters and have the impression they will be going more and more to the aggregators. Maybe I'm wrong, but thought I may as well get my feet wet now.

If this is way over my head, let me know 8) To quote t_muraoka in his post at Lockergnome Forum, "With Awasu, we have two key types of user in mind: the extremely non-technical sort of person (e.g. my Mum) and the hard-core power user." Unfortunately, the majority of post went on to focus on the power user and not his Mum.

Now that you know I'm in Mum's category, is it ok to give Awasu a shot? Beware, you may get some dumb questions along the way :lol:

Should I start with the free version or Advanced? Paying is not a problem with me...and , one usually gets what he pays for, or doesn't pay for.

RiskiOne

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:43 pm

RiskiOne wrote:Now that you know I'm in Mum's category, is it ok to give Awasu a shot? Beware, you may get some dumb questions along the way :lol:

Should I start with the free version or Advanced? Paying is not a problem with me...and , one usually gets what he pays for, or doesn't pay for.

G'day!

Of course it's OK :-) If you have a browse through these forums you'll see that we get a broad mix of questions and we take care of the newbies very well :-)

Starting with the free Personal Edition is quite OK - the software is the same as the Advanced Edition but the AE gives you a few more features. Once you get the hang of RSS and want some more power or just want to help support development, then you can buy the Advanced Edition.

All you have to do is download and run the installer for the Personal Edition. When Awasu first starts, you will be shown a web page explaining a bit about RSS and at the bottom, there are links you can click to create some channels to get you started. And if you have any questions, just post them here! :-)

RiskiOne

Postby RiskiOne » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:23 am

G'day support :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Although there may be easier aggregators to get my feet wet on, it's the friendly support of Awasu that brought me here. And the fact, you've got some more plans in mind.

If I get at it, I may be able to follow as you'al update :)

v1.1 has been downloaded and ready to give it a go. Do I need to update to v1.1.3 after the intial install of v1.1?

Cherrio :lol:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:00 am

RiskiOne wrote:Although there may be easier aggregators to get my feet wet on, it's the friendly support of Awasu that brought me here. And the fact, you've got some more plans in mind.

Always glad to help. And yes, we think that one of the big differentiators between us and some of the other aggregators is that we have big plans over and beyond just reading news.

RiskiOne wrote:Do I need to update to v1.1.3 after the intial install of v1.1?

Only if you want to :-) There have been a lot of cool features added in the betas after 1.1 but there are a few things you need to do to install them so it depends how confident you are about doing things on your PC. The latest beta is 1.1.4, BTW.

It's pretty straightfoward so as long as you know how to unpack a ZIP file and use Windows Explorer, you should be OK. And follow the instructions :-)

And of course, if you have any questions, you can always ask here :-)

Magic Speller

Postby Magic Speller » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:30 am

RiskiOne wrote:I've been reading for days and still not sure, but I was hooked after reading a thread on RSS at Chris' forum between Magic Speller (in search of an aggregator), t_muraoka (affiliated with Awasu) and others.

Hi. Glad to see you made it here!

What did I say on the forum? :wink: I don't think I'd tried Awasu yet and Taka was suggesting I try it, right? I'd been using FeedDemon and Newzcrawler, but I really liked the flexibility of Awasu and Taka's responsiveness. I ended up buying the Advanced Edition, largely because I wanted to subscribe to more feeds than the Personal Edition allowed.

I think you'll be fine starting out with Personal Edition 1.1. You can always upgrade to a later version or to AE later on after you've gained some familiarity with the product!

Have fun!

Magic Speller
Keith

RiskiOne

Postby RiskiOne » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:37 pm

Magic Speller wrote:
RiskiOne wrote:I've been reading for days and still not sure, but I was hooked after reading a thread on RSS at Chris' forum between Magic Speller (in search of an aggregator), t_muraoka (affiliated with Awasu) and others.

Hi. Glad to see you made it here!

What did I say on the forum? :wink: I don't think I'd tried Awasu yet and Taka was suggesting I try it, right? I'd been using FeedDemon and Newzcrawler, but I really liked the flexibility of Awasu and Taka's responsiveness. I ended up buying the Advanced Edition, largely because I wanted to subscribe to more feeds than the Personal Edition allowed.

I think you'll be fine starting out with Personal Edition 1.1. You can always upgrade to a later version or to AE later on after you've gained some familiarity with the product!

Have fun!

Magic Speller

Forgot where I was for a minute....I mean month :) Are the holidays over yet?

I'm glad I found my way back to get your comments Magic Speller.

Time to get me and my itsy, bitsy, teenie, weenie, yellow, polka-dot bikini down to the water and get my feet wet. OOps...I mean boxers.

This forum, support and friendliness leads me to get the Advanced Version just so I can help support the efforts. Besides, many questions will follow and I'ld feel quilty noy paying something. :)

Cherrio,

riski1

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:30 am

RiskiOne wrote:Besides, many questions will follow and I'ld feel quilty noy paying something.

Now there's a marketing angle - playing on peoples guilt! :idea: :-)

RiskiOne

Postby RiskiOne » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:12 pm

support wrote:
RiskiOne wrote:Besides, many questions will follow and I'ld feel quilty noy paying something.

Now there's a marketing angle - playing on peoples guilt! :idea: :-)

You may laugh now, but sometimes I can be a complete ijut :lol:

Besides, attitude and support go a long way with me. I've been in too many forums that you have to pull teeth to get a straight answer and that's if you get one.

Looking forward to the days ahead 8)

RiskiOne

Magic Speller

Postby Magic Speller » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:10 am

Actually, guilt was one of the factors in my deciding to buy the advanced version, too 8-).

It can be very effective....
Keith

RiskiOne

Postby RiskiOne » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:13 pm

Magic Speller wrote:Actually, guilt was one of the factors in my deciding to buy the advanced version, too 8-).

It can be very effective....

The carrot was hung in front of my nose over at the Lockergnome forums when I first started looking into RSS feeds. You see, I hate not knowing and my curiousity guides me all over.

Now after I got to Awasu, I read the ins and outs for days and still didn't know a lot more, so I joined the forum. The bait that got me hooked was a thread by the name of My Awasu Review. It was some good reading and after following the 2 of you I knew this would be a fun journey.

The whole time I was following I kept reminiscing about a favorite movie of mine. I would parallel the characters Roy Kinsella, Terence Mann and Doc Graham to what was happening as I read. Sounds weird, but one person had a vision and the other seeking to find something.

Oh well. my feet are wet and so far ...

this is kool. So far all I've tried is the Awasu feed, but I think I'm liking this. Sure is a lot of buttons and bows, though. Questions are sure to follow :lol:

At a first time from a rook, Awasu gets 3 thumbs up.

Cherrio,
RiskiOne

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”