Cutter

Postby Cutter » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:08 am

Just started using Awasu. So far looks really nice. I am checking things out, trying to find a good reader to buy in on....however, I am confused by the updating.

How do I get all the channels to update at once? When I open my reader I'd like to know that I am getting the most recent items. I know that the pay-version has faster updates than 1 hr but what I am looking for is when I open it in the morning, then later in the afternoon, and maybe again at night.

Do I have to set each channel to 1hr updates or is there some button I can push to automatically update all available channels at once?

Thanks!

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:40 am

Cutter wrote:How do I get all the channels to update at once? When I open my reader I'd like to know that I am getting the most recent items. I know that the pay-version has faster updates than 1 hr but what I am looking for is when I open it in the morning, then later in the afternoon, and maybe again at night.


A few people have asked for this but it is deliberately not there. One thing we have always been mindful of is putting excessive load on other people's (i.e. the feed publishers) bandwidth. Hence the minimum update interval of one hour and also the lack of an "update all channels" button. If it was there, many people would be using it all the time, needlessly hammering servers.

There are very few feeds out there that update more than a few times a day so updating a channel once an hour is more than enough. And if you are only using Awasu a few times day (instead of leaving it running all the time), that is even more the case. When you start Awasu, any channels that haven't been updated within the last hour will be updated immediately so you will get the latest content.

The way I do things is to use the "New content" channel filter that only shows channels with new content in the My Channels window. Then, I just work my way through them until I have checked them all.

Cutter

Postby Cutter » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:57 am

Thanks. I will change to the "new content" view.

I'm in the process of setting up an RSS feed for presentation at work, and I understand the concerns about getting hammered constantly. Just didn't understand the way Awasu updates the channels.

Thanks for the quick response and the great program. It is the nicest thing I've found online (after 6 months of searching and testing readers).

--Cutter

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:01 am

Cutter wrote:Thanks for the quick response and the great program. It is the nicest thing I've found online (after 6 months of searching and testing readers).


Thanks for the feedback. There are some pretty good readers out there so this is a nice compliment :-) :cool:

Guest

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:40 am

Hmm, when starting Awasu first time in the morning, shouln't it update all the feeds then? I have trouble making it update them.

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:15 am

Anonymous wrote:Hmm, when starting Awasu first time in the morning, shouln't it update all the feeds then? I have trouble making it update them.


Awasu keeps track of when channels were last updated, even if you exit and restart, and only updates them when needed.

Check the update interval for your channels - the default is once per day so if you didn't change this in the Program Options, that's what your channels will be set at :-)

Guest

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:37 am

support wrote:Check the update interval for your channels - the default is once per day so if you didn't change this in the Program Options, that's what your channels will be set at :-)


Well yes, I set it to "one hour" in default channel options. But I don't know if it really affects all the channels....

Maybe you would want to make this a bit more clear.

Thanks.

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:45 am

Anonymous wrote:Well yes, I set it to "one hour" in default channel options. But I don't know if it really affects all the channels....


That page in the Program Options is a template for any new channels that you create, it doesn't affect any channels that you have previously created.

Each channel can have its update interval (the amount of time between updates) individually set. Open the Channel Properties dialog for each channel and it'll be on the first page.

Guest

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:48 am

support wrote:That page in the Program Options is a template for any new channels that you create, it doesn't affect any channels that you have previously created.


Yes well, maybe there could be a checkbox or something to apply it for all the current channels too - now it wasn't so clear how it affect them.

I have about 70 channels and changing all them would be sort of laborous...

But Awasu is really nice... :)

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:56 am

Anonymous wrote:Yes well, maybe there could be a checkbox or something to apply it for all the current channels too - now it wasn't so clear how it affect them.


I know, I know :-( A few people have asked for something like this but it's quite difficult to do so I've been putting it off... :whip:

Anonymous wrote:I have about 70 channels and changing all them would be sort of laborous...


There is a utility program in the Awasu installation directory called ChannelMaintenance.exe that will do what you want. Look for the "Auto-update Interval" setting and set it to 3600 (for example, for hourly updates) for your channels.

David

Postby David » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:43 pm

I disagree with the rationale that an "Update All NOW" would cause more load on RSS servers. In fact, I think it would result in much LESS load and here is why -- If I can't have an "Update All NOW" feature, then I (and many others) will set their channels to the minimum update frequency. If all my channels are updating once an hour and I have 100 channels, that is 2400 updates a day. However, if I set the channels to update once a day and occasionally do an "Update All NOW", I will actually cause much less OVERALL sever load.

I feel this is a REALLY big omission. First of all, I can force an Update All NOW of sorts by cycling through all my channels and pressing Control+U, but that is a hassle in an otherwise sophisticated program.

Any chance of changing your mind on this one?

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:26 am

David wrote:Any chance of changing your mind on this one?


Yes :-)

I've been having another think about this recently and will probably put it in soon in some form. I'm flat out working on archiving right now but I'll try get something in after that.


Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests