skeric
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:56 am

Postby skeric » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:09 am

Hi,

I am new to awasu, currently using Personal Edition 1.2. I got error when adding a new channel for http://www.csdn.net/Rss/RssFeed.aspx?rssid=4. The error is XML parse failed (18:L1/C30): unknown encoding. I noticed that it is using "gb2312" for encoding. What should I do to correct the error?

Thanks,
Eric

abwilson
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA -- USA

Postby abwilson » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:30 pm

One approach is to access the URL indirectly through a channel plug-in and have the plug-in convert the feed to UTF-8 encoding so Awasu can display it.

After your message appeared here in the forum, I wrote such a plug-in in Python. It handles your problem URL fine. Unfortunately I was unable to create a standalone (.exe) version of the plug-in, so unless you have a compatible Python installation on your system you will not be able to use it.

I packaged the Python version and e-mailed it for posting in the Awasu Website plug-ins directory. Please check for it to appear there (I will also post again here when I see it is available).

If I can fix the problem that prevents creating the standalone (.exe) version, I will ask for it to be posted too, then let everyone know here.

Allan

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:49 am

The plugin is up on the web site now.

abwilson
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA -- USA

Postby abwilson » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:15 am

Great -- thanks!

skeric
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:56 am

Postby skeric » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:20 am

Hi Allan,

Thank for your reply. I have followed all the steps as stated in release notes. Install Python 2.3.3, win32all version for Python 2.3, and cjkcodecs for Python 2.3. After I have copied .plugin and .py files in ChannelPlugins, I started awasu and followed the instruction to add new channel. However, I still got an error of XML parse failed (7:L3/C2): mismatched tag. The error content is

<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV='Content-Type' CONTENT='text/html; charset=utf-8'>
</HEAD>
<HTML><BODY>
<P>The script caused an error:
<PRE style='margin-left:30px'>
? Could not open URL:

</PRE>
</BODY></HTML>

Please help.

Eric

skeric
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:56 am

Postby skeric » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:35 am

Hi Allan,

I found what causes the problem: if I have copied and pasted value for property FeedUrl in Plugin dialog box and followed by an immediate click on the button Next, the error of mismatched tag will occur.

Now the plugin is working fine. Thanks.

Eric

abwilson
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA -- USA

Postby abwilson » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:43 am

The error message indicates that the feed specified in FeedUrl (the "blank" for it appears in one of the channel creation dialogs) could not be retrieved. Please ensure that you entered the right URL. (I typically cut and paste to help avoid typing mistakes.)

While you may have typed all the right characters, depending on the version of Awasu you are using, after entering the URL in the dialog box you must do something for the value to actually be accepted -- click somewhere outside the FeedUrl box (though still in the containing dialog box), or whatever. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain better.

Please keep me advised until you get it working.

(And congratulations on installing all the stuff -- not a minor task... :) )

Allan

abwilson
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:36 am
Location: San Francisco, CA -- USA

Postby abwilson » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:44 am

You beat me to it -- indeed the FeedUrl value has to be "accepted" by Awasu for it to work.

Congratulations -- and thanks for the update!

Allan


Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests