tom.s

Postby tom.s » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:29 am

I'm evaluating Awasu Professional version for use by our development team and the search capabilities are an important aspect affecting the buying decision. We need an RSS reader that can filter news items by keywords in the description and so far I have had trouble filtering on anything except full words. For instance, if I want to search for news items with "TemplateParser" in the text and an article contains the text "System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal", I can't seem to use any search keywords to do so. I've been through the forums and see some topics about search, and some admissions from tech support that the search engine is a 3rd party component and "flaky". The post was from 2004 and so I'm wondering if there will be any progress made on improving this. Right now the search engine seems quite poor in my opinion. Any help you have is greatly appreciated.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:42 am

tom.s wrote:I have had trouble filtering on anything except full words. For instance, if I want to search for news items with "TemplateParser" in the text and an article contains the text "System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal", I can't seem to use any search keywords to do so.

The search engine does do stemming so you don't necessarily have to search for full words but it's geared towards natural language, not namespaced method names :-) I could change things to break up the "word" into its component parts (although that can sometimes cause more problems than it solves)

tom.s wrote:I've been through the forums and see some topics about search, and some admissions from tech support that the search engine is a 3rd party component and "flaky".

Well, it definitely is a third-party component and it's flaky in the sense that it tends to crash, although Awasu has a lot of stuff in place to handle that.

tom.s wrote:The post was from 2004 and so I'm wondering if there will be any progress made on improving this. Right now the search engine seems quite poor in my opinion.

I tend to agree, although it beats having to write our own from scratch :-) CLucene has had some newer releases since we started using it although I've been a bit reluctant to upgrade to them. Awasu uses SQLite to manage its database and now it supports full-text indexing, I'm thinking long and hard about switching over to that.

tom.s wrote:We need an RSS reader that can filter news items by keywords in the description

As an aside, we're going to be adding a feature soon that will let you highlight or filter items in/out by keyword (although it will be done using regular expressions, not the search engine).

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:46 am

tom.s wrote:We need an RSS reader that can filter news items by keywords in the description

Depending on exactly how you want to do things, you might also be able to use the MySQL channel hook to store the incoming content in a MySQL database and then search that.

For certain customers, we can also offer an API into Awasu's archive database so you can extract the content and do what you want with it.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”