tb

Postby tb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:01 am

I have read thru your online help section and I have a few questions.

I am new to RSS so bare with me:

I understand that I create a channel from a website that already has an established feed rss button to link to.
What I want to know probably concerns your plug-ins
1. Do you have a plug-in that can search for articles that are posted on the web, I am trying to keep current with published articles on my competitors.

2. If I understand even if a website does not offer rss, I can create an rss link anyway, yes or no?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:10 am

tb wrote:Do you have a plug-in that can search for articles that are posted on the web, I am trying to keep current with published articles on my competitors.

Google used to give others access to their search engine and Awasu had a plugin that used it but they've since closed it off. However, there are other third-party services that do the same thing e.g. GoogleAlert. You can also use search engines like Technorati or Feedster, or anyone else that offers their search results as a feed.

tb wrote:If I understand even if a website does not offer rss, I can create an rss link anyway, yes or no?

Kind of :-) You need to use a plugin that examines the web page and generates a feed from what it finds. <tt>URL Monitor</tt> is a very simple plugin that watches a page and tells you when it's been changed. More sophisticated is <tt>WebScrape</tt> which extracts information from a web page and generates a full feed from it. Sometimes pages are too complicated to be analyzed by these tools but it's also easy to write a custom plugin that goes the web page you're interested in and gets the information that way.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”