indeauto

Postby indeauto » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:22 am

Hi,

Nice program. Still with the trial version (2.3 - not beta). So far, I'm liking it.

I'm using Awasu to monitor a number of websites that post freelance writing jobs. The quicker I learn when the new jobs are posted, the better chance i have of getting them. i want to set up multiple channels, then create a search agent searching all these channels for certain keywords, limiting results to last 3 days, then email all these results to my gmail account. I've created the individual channels (e.g., to each webpage), and have created the search agent, but can't get it to limit results to 3 days or less. Nor can i get it to email the results (have set up the SendEmail hook, but i may be doing it wrong).

Questions:

Limiting Results: When creating the search, I told it to limit results to last 3 days, but it still gives me all the results it finds, regardless of how old they are. Am I doing something wrong?

Email Hooks: dialog box --
1. do i need to fill out all the Property Values (e.g., "Reply To" value)
2. If so, can i use the same Value for 'Send To', 'From', & 'Reply To' values?
3. Do I need to add values to both the 'New Feed Item' template & the 'consolidated new feed item template fields? Or is it an either/or kind of thing.

Lots of questions, I know. I tried figuring them out myself, as well as searching the forum for answers. But no luck for my specific questions. Thanks in advance

p.s.
I'm really impressed with Awasu, but i am frustrated / dissatisfied with a couple of things: a) some functions don't seem to work (such as the 'Limit Results' thing i mentioned above). This wouldn't be a big problem, if not for b) hard to figure out how to correct stuff yourself. With most software, if i play around with it long enough, i can figure things out for myself. Not so for Awasu. I just wish it was a little more user friendly.

M[/b]

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:14 pm

indeauto wrote:i want to set up multiple channels, then create a search agent searching all these channels for certain keywords, limiting results to last 3 days, then email all these results to my gmail account.

When you say you've created "search agents", do you mean "search channels"? Search agents appear in the My Searches tab of the Control Center and simply highlight matching items in different colours. I can't think of any way to get them to send out emails.

Search channels, on the other hand, appear in the My Channels tab and are the same as normal channels, except that their feed is generated from search results. Items can be emailed by attaching a SendEmail channel hook so I'm guessing this is what you're actually talking about.

indeauto wrote:but can't get it to limit results to 3 days or less.

It seems to be working OK for me. If you can find the .CHANNEL files, send them to me and I'll take a look. Or just send screenshots of the channel's configuration dialogs.

indeauto wrote:do i need to fill out all the Property Values (e.g., "Reply To" value)

You need a Send-To address and the SendEmail hook also requires you specify a From address. Reply-To is optional. They can all be the same, if you want.

indeauto wrote:Do I need to add values to both the 'New Feed Item' template & the 'consolidated new feed item template fields?

You can leave these blank and Awasu will use a simple default template. They're provided in case you want to change the format of the emails sent.

SendEmail can be a bit tricky to trouble-shoot because everything's done in the background, but if you turn on logging, it should report what's going on.

indeauto wrote:I'm really impressed with Awasu, but i am frustrated / dissatisfied with a couple of things

Let us know if you're still having trouble limiting the search results (as I said, it seems to be working for me). As for usability, Awasu is extremely powerful so a certain amount of complexity is unavoidable but we certainly try to keep it as simple and usable as possible. Keep the feedback coming and we'll do our best :whip: :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”