kai

Postby kai » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:41 am

Hi.

I just saw in the forum that some other people also asked for deleting feeds in the item list allready.

The thing is when you can browse through the item list by keyboard that is much faster and easier than always using the mouse, looking through the news and to delete the uninteresting click right mouse and select "mark as read". It would be much better to handle when you can use keyboard arrows to go through the list (as highlighted first so no news are loaded) and delete or "marked as read" by e key like "delete" or something else. Finally you just have the news you want to read and you can open them or can highlight all together and open as tabs.

Regards Kai.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:51 am

kai wrote:I just saw in the forum that some other people also asked for deleting feeds in the item list allready.

It's worth clarifying exactly how Awasu works. Channels are configured to keep feed items for a certain amount of time, after which Awasu will automatically purge them. This is the <i>only</i> time feed items get deleted. As I said here, RSS is not the same as email and IMO, designing things so that users have to <i>manually</i> delete bucket-loads of feed items is a colossal waste of their time.

However, Awasu can be configured to not <i>show</i> certain feed items which, for most purposes, is basically the same thing.

In response to your question here, I was going to suggest the following:

(*) Configure your channels to only show unread items.
(*) Configure a keyboard shortcut to mark an item as read.
(*) As you work your way through the items, if you mark an item as read, Awasu will refresh the page with it taken out, which is effectively the behaviour you're looking for.

Thing is, when I went to test this, it seems the GUI toolkit Awasu uses won't let you assign a keyboard shortcut to <i>Mark as read</i> :-( This option exists in the context menu when you right-click inside the item pane but the GUI toolkit only lets you assign shortcuts to stuff in the main menu. This is a bit unfriendly IMO and I'll raise a ticket with the vendor but in the meantime, I'll add something to the next release to let you assign a shortcut. But if you try it using the context menu, you can see it works.

kai wrote:The thing is when you can browse through the item list by keyboard that is much faster and easier than always using the mouse

I totally agree. I'm a hardcore keyboard user and the default keyboard shortcuts have been designed to allow for fast reading of content (using the left hand for the keyboard, the right hand on the mouse). And you can always change them in the Customize dialog if you don't like them :-)

kai

Postby kai » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am

To say "delete" was my mistake. You are fully right that it works different in a RSS-reader. So instead "delete" I had to say hide.

Presently when I touch the item in the list and I selected "only show unread items" it is hiding directly and the message is loading in the bottom.

So what I mean is if there would be a button in the options where you can change this behaviour. Like: I touch an item in the list and in the window below there is just the preview of that item like I see it in the channel summary. When I want to open the item just a hit on the keyboard or a button with the mouse and it opens. When I go to the next item, previous read message is hide and preview of the next is shown and so on. So when I hit an item the window below works like a preview and the message is not loaded yet from the internet.

Hope I explained it so people understand what I mean.

This is such a great thing when you worked with it already. Alnera FeedBuster is a RSS-reader working like that. There you can also select 20 items at once and mark them as read so they hide.

You are right when you say that is a thing like in a mail-client but that is also a good thing for a news reader because you can work very quick.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:45 am

kai wrote:So what I mean is if there would be a button in the options where you can change this behaviour.

Yah, a few people have asked for this old-style one-item-at-a-time design but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I'll have another ponder over it...

kai

Postby kai » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:59 pm

For now I have a little work around for me. I just work offline when I want to go fast through the list.

But perhaps you find a solution or have an idea that will not be the "old-style" and also works.

Many thanks for your fast reply and your help.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”