Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:32 am

As you know, I'm a huge fan. (Check out Tuesday's posting on my blog!) I was having drinks with a reporter last night and he'd like to give Awasu a try.

The conversation then came to "I want to read what *you* read, Phil." So, I want to ask: What is the best way to make his Awasu installation exactly like mine? Is there I way I can drag the the feeds I subscribe to into a ZIP file, email it to the reporter, and have him drag the contents into *his* copy of Awasu such that he reads the same feeds I do?

Many thanks.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:38 am

Phil wrote:As you know, I'm a huge fan. (Check out Tuesday's posting on my blog!) I was having drinks with a reporter last night and he'd like to give Awasu a try.

:-) I'm working on the next beta which will archive content and while I found earlier that I was processing a huge amount of information each day, now that it's being archived, there's even more of it! :roll: But archiving is the first step in our grand vision for Awasu to be a powerful knowledge management tool, with a lot of sophisticated analysis, search and management functions. I think you're going to be having fun with it :-)

Phil wrote:The conversation then came to "I want to read what *you* read, Phil." So, I want to ask: What is the best way to make his Awasu installation exactly like mine? Is there I way I can drag the the feeds I subscribe to into a ZIP file, email it to the reporter, and have him drag the contents into *his* copy of Awasu such that he reads the same feeds I do?

There are two ways of doing this. The easiest is to just save your installation to a sync file and he can then load that. This feature is designed for people who run Awasu at home and at work, for example, and want to keep the two in sync. However, this will make his installation *exactly* the same as yours, including all settings, favorites, etc. which is maybe not quite what you want.

The other way is to save your feeds to an OPML file. You can do this by creating a new report using the ExportOpml template. OPML is used to store lists of feed URL's and you can send the resulting OPML file to your friend who can then use the Import From OPML feature to subscribe to those channels.

Awasu can be configured to generate this report this automatically e.g. once an hour and something that I've had on the to-do list for ages is to add the ability to FTP this file to a server. This would allow you to publish your blogroll on your website and have Awasu keep it up-to-date for you. Just not enough time in each day... :-(

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”