Dan Rochman

Postby Dan Rochman » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:16 pm

Hello! I'm a longish-time user (and fan) of Awasu Advanced Edition. I just rebuilt my laptop on Windows XP, and decided to finally follow my own Best Practices advice, and make my day-to-day user account a member of the "Users" group only (ie, not a member of the local "Administrators" or "Power Users" groups).

I installed Awasu while logged in as the local Administrator, and then logged back in as myself to try to use it, but realized that the architecture of Awasu makes working this way pretty challenging.

Specific Issues I've encountered so far:
1) I get an error balloon when launching Awasu: "Can't configure the feed: protocol." Error detail reads "Can't open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/feed: Access is denied." I have >read< access to HKCR/feed (and below), so I'm not sure what other permissions I need, nor why...
2) At first, I couldn't create my user folder in the Awasu\Users folder - *that* was a non-starter. So I logged back in as Administrator, manually removed permission inheritance from the Awasu\Users folder, and then changed the permissions on it to grant the "Create Folders / Append Data" permission to regular users. This seemed to do the trick, but shouldn't be necessary (see General Issues, below).
3) I can't update the "Awasu\Resources\Channel Packs" folder - not fatal, but I believe Awasu periodically (?) refreshes the ChannelPacks.index file in this folder...

General Issues:
It's basically a "Bad Idea" (isn't it?) to keep user data/settings within the application directory if it can be helped. I believe that the recommended practice (see, e.g., http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpusrdat.mspx) is that these be kept in each user's profile path, and/or in the HKCU part of the registry. This is safer, easier to maintain and manage, requires less user privilege, and is easier to back up and restore (the Save/Load Sync Data ability is great, but I don't most admins don't generally back up anything under the "Program Files" folder). So I guess this is something of a bug report, and something of a feature request. How easy/hard would it be to modify Awasu's architecture to store user data in (e.g.) "Application Data\Awasu" or "Local Settings\Application Data\Awasu"?

Thanks for any tips/feedback - and thanks for producing such a great application! :D

-Dan Rochman

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:16 am

Dan Rochman wrote:1) I get an error balloon when launching Awasu: "Can't configure the feed: protocol." Error detail reads "Can't open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/feed: Access is denied." I have >read< access to HKCR/feed (and below), so I'm not sure what other permissions I need, nor why...

If you have configured Awasu to be the feed: protocol handler, it needs *write* access to that part of the Registry so it can register itself. You can turn this off in the Advanced tab of the Program Options.

Dan Rochman wrote:3) I can't update the "Awasu\Resources\Channel Packs" folder - not fatal, but I believe Awasu periodically (?) refreshes the ChannelPacks.index file in this folder...

Yes, Awasu gets a fresh copy once every few days.

Dan Rochman wrote:It's basically a "Bad Idea" (isn't it?) to keep user data/settings within the application directory if it can be helped.

Best practice seems to change every few years :-) Apps used to be supposed to store their settings in the Registry. Then people realized what a mess that made so we went back to local config files under the installation directory. Now it's the user's profile path.

My personal preference is local config files in the application's installation directory since I'm a big believer in keeping everything in one place, not spreading my files all over people's system, etc. If you uninstall Awasu and delete the installation directory, that should remove all traces of the app from your machine.

Dan Rochman wrote:How easy/hard would it be to modify Awasu's architecture to store user data in (e.g.) "Application Data\Awasu" or "Local Settings\Application Data\Awasu"?

Very easy and something that I've been meaning to put in for ages but just haven't got around to yet :roll: :whip: I'll make sure it's in for the next release.

Thanks for the feedback.

marc

Postby marc » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:04 pm

Hi!

I’m having the same problem. I want to use AWASU 2.0 as a normal user on a WinXP system SP2. And it does not work because it wants to read/write to restricted areas in the registry. Started as administrator it is working fine.

I tried to send an error report to support@awasu.com but the mail returned because of a spam problem…

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
support@awasu.com
(reason: 553 5.3.0 Error 601:Rejected by SPAM filter - bl.spamcop.net)

Please fix that problem.

Marc

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:03 am

marc wrote:I’m having the same problem. I want to use AWASU 2.0 as a normal user on a WinXP system SP2. And it does not work because it wants to read/write to restricted areas in the registry. Started as administrator it is working fine.

Awasu writes to several places in the Registry where it needs admin privileges but failure should not stop it from working (although those features in question will obviously not function properly).

What is the exact error message you're getting (check the Error Log).

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:30 am

The registry problem was not the first problem I had with the tool. The first occurs when awasu tries to create a directory in the installation path. A normal user does not have the rights for that. So I set the appropriated rights to c:\Programme\Awasu. This is not very “secure” unfortunately.

After that I started again an got that message: 4oct04 12:09:01 Can't configure the feed: protocol: Can't open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/feed: Zugriff verweigert

I’m sure you can repro that.

Marc

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:The registry problem was not the first problem I had with the tool. The first occurs when awasu tries to create a directory in the installation path. A normal user does not have the rights for that. So I set the appropriated rights to c:\Programme\Awasu. This is not very “secure” unfortunately.

It is possible to work around this. Create a file called DEBUG.INI in the Awasu installation directory that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
UsersDir=...

This will move the Users sub-directory. Or you can do it on a per-user basis:

Code: Select all

[Debug]
UserHomeDir_XXX=...

where XXX is the logon name.

Anonymous wrote:After that I started again an got that message: 4oct04 12:09:01 Can't configure the feed: protocol: Can't open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/feed: Zugriff verweigert

This is just letting you know - it won't stop Awasu from running.

marc

Postby marc » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:44 am

Ok, I created the file c:\Programme\Awasu\debug.ini with the following entries:

[Debug]
UsersDir=d:\tmp

The error messes did not change (“cannot create dir programme\awasu\users\mstroh”) and awasu did not start.

Filemon.exe (restricted to “debug” file accesses and “open” accesses only) showed me:

1 09:33:24 awasu.exe:1888 OPEN C:\Programme\Awasu\debug.ini SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
2 09:33:24 awasu.exe:1888 OPEN C:\Programme\Awasu\Users\mstroh\debug.ini PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
3 09:33:24 awasu.exe:1888 OPEN C:\Programme\Awasu\Users\mstroh\debug.ini PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
4 09:33:24 awasu.exe:1888 OPEN C:\Programme\Awasu\Users\mstroh\debug.ini PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
5 09:33:28 awasu.exe:1888 OPEN C:\Programme\Awasu\Users\mstroh\debug.ini PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

Modifying debug.ini to

[Debug]
UserHomeDir_mstroh=d:\tmp

is resulting in the same error and the same logfile entries of filemon.exe.

So, both variations did not work.

If you’d like to email: marcsnews2@web.de.

Marc

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:07 am

Apologies. What version are you running? This feature was added in 2.0.2.

My misteak :oops:

marc

Postby marc » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:11 am

I'm running 2.0 personal edition. That's what you get from your download page.

Marc

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:36 am

Now I found the newer versions. I installed 2.01, 2.02, 2.03 now and started it as admin, then as user. And it works fine. :-) Thanks.

Marc

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”