View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Post Missing data files version string
I have been using the Personal Edition of Awasu on my home p.c. Works great. Monday I downloaded the personal edition to my office p.c. and downloaded a "syncronization" from home. When I click the Icon to start Awasu on my office p.c. I get the following error message. I have reviewed the help page and have not resolved the issue. I have also reinstalled Awasu and get the same message. Can you assist? "Initialization Failed missing data files version string"

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Missing data files version string
This is odd. Are you running the standard 2.3 version or have you installed any of the later beta releases?

Can you please check what version of Awasu you are running on your office PC. Since it won't start, here's how to do it:
(*) Open a Windows Explorer window.
(*) Go to where you've installed Awasu (e.g. <tt>C:\Program Files\Awasu</tt>).
(*) Right-click on <tt>awasu.exe</tt>, choose <i>Properties</i> and go to the <i>Version</i> tab.
(*) The version number will be at the top of the page.

Also, is this the same as what you're running at home i.e. you downloaded the standard 2.3 version and haven't installed any of the later betas?

When you say you "downloaded a synchronization", do you mean you did a <i>"Load Awasu sync data"</i>, in order to make your office Awasu the same as your home Awasu? That means you must've been able to run Awasu at the office at least once? You would've been shown the "Welcome" page and the EULA.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:51 am
Profile WWW

I did check the version on the Office p.c. Puzzling, but it simply states 0.0.0.0. Also you are correct on the initial log in. Last Monday (Dec 3) I was able to open Awasu on the office p.c. and I loaded the awasu sync data from my home p.c.

The version on the home p.c. is the 2.3 (no beta). Thoughts? Could it be a firewall at my institution; Ouachita Baptist University? :?:

support wrote:
This is odd. Are you running the standard 2.3 version or have you installed any of the later beta releases?

Can you please check what version of Awasu you are running on your office PC. Since it won't start, here's how to do it:
(*) Open a Windows Explorer window.
(*) Go to where you've installed Awasu (e.g. <tt>C:\Program Files\Awasu</tt>).
(*) Right-click on <tt>awasu.exe</tt>, choose <i>Properties</i> and go to the <i>Version</i> tab.
(*) The version number will be at the top of the page.

Also, is this the same as what you're running at home i.e. you downloaded the standard 2.3 version and haven't installed any of the later betas?

When you say you "downloaded a synchronization", do you mean you did a <i>"Load Awasu sync data"</i>, in order to make your office Awasu the same as your home Awasu? That means you must've been able to run Awasu at the office at least once? You would've been shown the "Welcome" page and the EULA.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:27 am
Site Admin

rigsbyml wrote:
I did check the version on the Office p.c. Puzzling, but it simply states 0.0.0.0.

Um, that's completely weird. Could you please email me the awasu.exe file.

Did you install Awasu and then try to use it from the same or different Windows accounts (or perhaps your computer just launches you straight into your Windows desktop)?

What version of Windows are you using?

rigsbyml wrote:
Could it be a firewall at my institution; Ouachita Baptist University?

No, it's nothing like that. We put this check in to detect when people have tried to upgrade their Awasu to a beta version but haven't done things properly. In your case, it should never happen.

You can probably work around it like this:
(*) Find your <tt>CONFIG.INI</tt> file (check here for how to do this) and open it up in Notepad.
(*) Check to see if it contains a line that starts with <i>Version=</i> (it probably won't).

Then...
(*) Check if it contains a line that says <i>[System]</i>.
(*) If it <u>does</u>, then add a new line after it that says <i>Version=2.3</i>
(*) If it <u>doesn't</u>, at the end of the file add the following two lines:
<tt> [System]
Version=2.3</tt>

Awasu should now start up.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:56 am
Profile WWW

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Site Admin

Works great now.

No worries :cool:

For anyone else reading this thread, the fix I described above will make the problem go away but please keep in mind it is an indication that something has gone wrong! So it's a good idea to try and resolve that first rather than just sweep it under the rug :-)

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Profile WWW

Post Different Problem, but this fixed it
I had upgraded from 2.2 to 2.4 since my last backup and then had an error during boot up which corrupted config.ini to the point it was discarded entirely during the diskcheck on the subsequent boot up.

I restored my 2.2 config.ini - but it didn't have any [System] or Version= entries, so 2.4 wouldn't boot - with the error message in this thread. Adding the suggested 2 lines at the end fixed things up.

Thanks so much.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]