Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:25 pm

Recently DLd and installed Asawu. Appears very good compared to my previous newsreader (Newzcrawler). I am still learning Awasu but have some (possibly) easy questions and can't find the answers in the HELP page or the forum.
Desktop. I have 3 panes - channel list, article list, and text of the highlighted article. (Obviously, I don't have the lingo down yet.) I know I can drag the top of the article pane down to the point I can't see it - good - but it doesn't seem to stay there next time I open Awasu - bad. Any way to eliminate that pane and access it by F7?
Search in categories - I know I can add search words for each category but it appears I am limited to 5-6 words. Is this, in fact, a limitation or am I doing something wrong?
Article list pane - any way to add a column showing date and time for the articles?

squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:55 am

I don't have the lingo down yet.) I know I can drag the top of the article pane down to the point I can't see it - good - but it doesn't seem to stay there next time I open Awasu - bad. Any way to eliminate that pane and access it by F7?

There is an auto-hide feature for the item list that should do what you want. From the "tools" menu, select "options." Click the "display" button. In the bottom-right portion of the dialog box you will see an "auto-hide feed items" check box. If you check that, the feed items will be hidden by default and will be closed after you click on an item.

There are other options on that screen related to the item list as well. You can position it to the side of the screen instead of the bottom, and you can control how much of the screen the item list is allowed to take up by default.

--

I'll leave the other questions for Taka. I was just trying to be helpful. :)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:11 am

Old Guy wrote:I know I can drag the top of the article pane down to the point I can't see it - good - but it doesn't seem to stay there next time I open Awasu - bad. Any way to eliminate that pane and access it by F7?

The sizing of the item pane is saved across sessions. It seems to be working fine for me.

Old Guy wrote: Search in categories - I know I can add search words for each category but it appears I am limited to 5-6 words. Is this, in fact, a limitation or am I doing something wrong?

The query parser is still a bit flaky so you may be seeing problems like this. It's not a deliberate limitation :-)

Old Guy wrote: Article list pane - any way to add a column showing date and time for the articles?

Not yet but there will be soon.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:12 am

squeg wrote:I'll leave the other questions for Taka. I was just trying to be helpful. :)

Feel free to answer as many questions as you want! It all helps :-)

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:16 pm

First, tried Sques's idea on Auto-hide. Seems to work within a session (lingo?) but next time I open Awasu, I get the same screen have to move panes again.

support wrote:
Old Guy wrote:I know I can drag the top of the article pane down to the point I can't see it - good - but it doesn't seem to stay there next time I open Awasu - bad. Any way to eliminate that pane and access it by F7?
The sizing of the item pane is saved across sessions. It seems to be working fine for me.

I suppose this means there is no known way to correct what I see.

Old Guy wrote: Search in categories - I know I can add search words for each category but it appears I am limited to 5-6 words. Is this, in fact, a limitation or am I doing something wrong?
The query parser is still a bit flaky so you may be seeing problems like this. It's not a deliberate limitation :-)

I look forward to it . Any time estimate on the fix? 2 days? 15 years?

Old Guy wrote: Article list pane - any way to add a column showing date and time for the articles?

Not yet but there will be soon.

Ah, life will indeed be good. And, I'm playing with the plugins. excellent!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:50 am

Old Guy wrote:First, tried Sques's idea on Auto-hide. Seems to work within a session (lingo?) but next time I open Awasu, I get the same screen have to move panes again.

Is it happening for every channel or just one? Have you tried just hiding the item pane (using F7) rather than resizing it down to nothing?

Old Guy wrote:
support wrote:The query parser is still a bit flaky so you may be seeing problems like this. It's not a deliberate limitation :-)

Unfortunately, my schedule is jam-packed for at least the next two months so it's not going to be any time soon.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:02 pm

support wrote:
Old Guy wrote:First, tried Sques's idea on Auto-hide. Seems to work within a session (lingo?) but next time I open Awasu, I get the same screen have to move panes again.

Is it happening for every channel or just one? Have you tried just hiding the item pane (using F7) rather than resizing it down to nothing?

Old Guy wrote:
support wrote:The query parser is still a bit flaky so you may be seeing problems like this. It's not a deliberate limitation :-)

Unfortunately, my schedule is jam-packed for at least the next two months so it's not going to be any time soon.

I went back and tried a few. Within the same session, when returning to BusinessWeek Online, CNet, and IBD, they all maintain the invisible bottom pane. When I return to InternetNews, it returns to the bottom pane taking half the screen. When I close Awasu and reopen, all channels return to the bottom pane taking half the screen. F7 always shows me a full screen for the article and always returns me to the 3-pane view I had when I hit F7. BONUS > how do I get rid of the ballon(?) in the bottom right that nags about an AWASU upgrade?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:24 am

Old Guy wrote:When I close Awasu and reopen, all channels return to the bottom pane taking half the screen. F7 always shows me a full screen for the article and always returns me to the 3-pane view I had when I hit F7.

That's really weird. I'll take a look at it and try to reproduce what you're seeing. I'll also try and find some time to look at the search crashes as well :whip:

Old Guy wrote:BONUS > how do I get rid of the ballon(?) in the bottom right that nags about an AWASU upgrade?

This one's easy: upgrade :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”