P

Postby P » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:15 am

I have been trying Awasu for about a month now. I am about to remove it from my computer and I thought I would let you know why.

I like the idea of RSS and it has certainly proven itself to be a nice addition to my life here. I am an American citizen working in Afghanistan. As my only convenient source of information, the internet is very important to me and I use it to keep up on world events as well as some lighter things like technology. My connection is by satellite and pops along at a fairly speedy 150-200 kbs.

Still, even with this medium band connection, Awasu is absolutely the slowest thing I've seen since 24kbs was considered fast. I find it much faster to check CNN and BBC and FNC through my browser than thru your software. So the convenience of having everything in one place is offset by the fact I don't have time to access it that way. Using my browser, I can get all the info in, easily, one fourth the time it takes to use Awasu.

My second major problem is Awasu lets way too many popups through. This perhaps adds to the appearance of sluggishness.

Lastly, when I do find something to click through on, the software ignores my preference for FireFox and insists on opening an IE browser window. Then another, then another... This increases the burden on my computer and ignores my preference in browsers. Since many estimates now place the percentage of KNOWLEDGEABLE PC users at around 20% favoring a browser other than IE, this is a serious fault in Awasu. Maybe the masses using an RSS feed to follow the latest fad diet blogs are happy with IE. I'm not.

If you have plans to upgrade the software to address such problems as these, I'd be happy to hear from you. Otherwise, I have to say good-bye to Awasu.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:20 am

Thanks for the feedback. We are always keen to hear from users, even if they have criticisms, since it lets us know about problems that need to be fixed.

P wrote:Still, even with this medium band connection, Awasu is absolutely the slowest thing I've seen since 24kbs was considered fast. I find it much faster to check CNN and BBC and FNC through my browser than thru your software. So the convenience of having everything in one place is offset by the fact I don't have time to access it that way. Using my browser, I can get all the info in, easily, one fourth the time it takes to use Awasu.

It seems strange that Awasu is running that slowly. What version of Awasu are you using (Help|About) and what sort of PC do you have?

Also, one of the benefits of using an RSS reader is that it will identify what's new and what you've already read so you don't have to waste time manually scanning web pages looking for new content. Plus Awasu will archive content, let you search it, etc.

P wrote:My second major problem is Awasu lets way too many popups through. This perhaps adds to the appearance of sluggishness.

Lastly, when I do find something to click through on, the software ignores my preference for FireFox and insists on opening an IE browser window.

This is a problem with IE. Awasu defaults to using IE as its embedded browser and unfortunately it ignores your default browser setting and opens another copy of itself. To work around this, Awasu adds an "Open in default browser" option to IE's right-click menu.

And while it's always been possible to do so, in 2.0.2, we made it much easier to switch to using Gecko (the underlying HTML engine used by Firefox and Mozilla) as the embedded browser. More info here.

BTW, do you have a blog? I'd be really interested in hearing what's happening over there.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”