skrp

Postby skrp » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:09 am

I very new to this whole concept. However, I downloaded you application and I looking to get started. I have read over the pages on your Website and the explanations we great for a beginner. But I'm still confused over one thing:

If RSS and RDF are a type of XML why do I see websites with both buttons? I see websites that have subscribe to our feed and then they have Orange button - RSS Blue button - XML

I have tried clicking on both and they look (the code) absolutely identical. Why have both, considering RSS is a form of XML? Additionally, if I'm using awasu which one would I click on?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:54 am

skrp wrote:Why have both, considering RSS is a form of XML? Additionally, if I'm using awasu which one would I click on?

To confuse new users :-) :roll:

RSS has had something of a chequered history and there are many different versions of it and a lot of political infighting between many of the people involved about which is better.

RDF performs the same function as RSS (syndicating content) and is considered a purer form, from a technical point of view, by some who care about such things.

Most aggregator developers, myself included, just throw their arms up in disgust and support all versions of RSS, RDF and Atom. Some web sites offer their feed in different versions in case you actually care. It doesn't matter which one you use.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:34 pm

Ok, let me make sure I got this. Its one of those things that dosen't really make a difference which I use but I still need to know.

I see buttons with XML which is I guess just "plain" XML and

buttons for RSS, RDF, and ATOM are "cleaner" versions or a better mouse trap of XML.

and

RDF is "cleaner" then RSS according to some.

So there offer all four. However, I usually only see XML and RSS buttons. to subscribe to a feed. Ran across ATOM a few times.

Is this correct? Thanks for you imput is greatly appreciated.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:20 am

Almost.

XML is a "language" that is used to transfer information between computers. RSS, RDF and Atom all use this language to transfer syndicated content between a web server and your aggregator.

You sometimes see buttons labelled "RSS' or "RDF" or "Atom", in which case that's what they will be. Buttons labelled "XML" will be one of those three; there's no way of telling which one without looking at the feed itself and figuring it out.

And people wonder why this whole syndication thing has been slow to take off... :roll:

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”