Postby Guest » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:41 pm

How do you organize large numbers of RSS feeds? I see that Awasu avoids trees of folders containing feeds. That's terrific in that I don't want to have to organize and manage all those folders manually.

Awasu has a mechanism for assigning labels to feeds and then dynamically pulling together all of the feeds with the same labels. That's very cool because you can pull together information from across feeds. So for example, you can create your own feed of items containing posts about "Seaworld" if that's your interest.

But how do you organize many of these channels? Suppose I create a 50 of them? I'll need more than a few hotkeys, as Awasu provides, to see all of them. I'll need, dare I say, a tree that lists my dynamic feeds... Looks like I have to manage that tree after all.

So how do you organized many feeds with Awasu?

-Gary

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Changing things to present channels in My Channels in a tree is already in progress - I've already got a very rough cut that does it. However, the idea of filters and categories will still be there, but the tree structure just makes it easier to manage.

I assign hotkeys to just those filters that I use frequently. For the others, you can access them via the filters dialog. It's still pretty quick if you use the keyboard: Ctrl-L, then the first letter of the filter name (you can change the ordering of the filters to facilitate this). The new version of My Channels will have a drop list at the top with all your defined filters so you'll be able to access them quickly with the mouse as well.

The limit on how many hotkey'ed things you can have, even in the paid versions, is because of the current design but we'll be fixing that soon to allow for an unlimited number.

targon

Postby targon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:43 am

Anonymous wrote:So how do you organized many feeds with Awasu?

Personally, I've gradually went from trying to organize the feeds to just mainly using a filter that shows only the feeds with unread items in them. And then I just read them. :)

Also, I've set up less important feeds to update less often, so they don't appear in the "unread" view more than, say, every couple of days or once a week.
Tero

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:58 am

targon wrote:Personally, I've gradually went from trying to organize the feeds to just mainly using a filter that shows only the feeds with unread items in them. And then I just read them. :)

Me too :-) For a long time, I only used the "New content" filter and read everything. It's only recently that I've got too many channels for the time available and so I have one filter for stuff I *have* to check every day, stuff I like to read when I've got time, and then everything else.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”