Postby Guest » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:22 am

Well I'm trying out RSS to see if it's as hot as people make out. And first impressions are it's hardly knockout!

I still have to do so much scrolling and the font size is so large (I use screen resolution of 1280 x 720 on 1 17" monitor) that it seems to defeat the object of what it's trying to do - offer simplicity

For example to get all the headlines from BBC news (using standard internet not RSS) all I have to do is click 2 things, 1 the bbc url and then the news button and bam there is everything there on the one page no scrolling needed. I can sit back put my feet on the desk and read everything perfectly.

But with RSS I click the BBC news and then get a horrible big red box wasting about 25% of the screen, then the headlines which I have to scroll, scroll, scroll etc. Also the look of the headlines looks so unappealing I get bored just looking at them.

Basically I was under the illusion that RSS puts pretty much puts everything on the one page but as I see it it's just another browser with just as many clicks as before AND even more scrolling. OK, it 'might' make news a little bit faster to read and puts it all in one place but with Mozilla set up right with tabs etc I can't see that RSS is worth all the hassle.

So on a score of 10, I give the whole RSS concept a 5 at best. Maybe things will improve in the future and maybe I'm just plain wrong but first impressions are important and I wasn't that impressed.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:48 am

Anonymous wrote:For example to get all the headlines from BBC news (using standard internet not RSS) all I have to do is click 2 things, 1 the bbc url and then the news button and bam there is everything there on the one page no scrolling needed. I can sit back put my feet on the desk and read everything perfectly.

The big advantage of RSS is that it automatically detects what's new and lets you know. For one site, yes, you might be better off just browsing there and scanning the web site but could you do it for 300 sites? Each day? That's how many channels I have. Some have more - Robert Scoble has well over a thousand! :O

Anonymous wrote:But with RSS I click the BBC news and then get a horrible big red box wasting about 25% of the screen, then the headlines which I have to scroll, scroll, scroll etc. Also the look of the headlines looks so unappealing I get bored just looking at them.

You get the big red box because the channel is including a big description about itself. You can change it in the channel's Properties dialog or turn them off altogether.

Boring headlines are annoying. There's been a big debate about whether people should put full content in their feeds or just snippets. In the case of the BBC, they want to encourage you to go to their site, hence they only include brief snips. But if you look at our feed, you will see that we include full content.

Anonymous wrote:So on a score of 10, I give the whole RSS concept a 5 at best. Maybe things will improve in the future and maybe I'm just plain wrong but first impressions are important and I wasn't that impressed.

This is actually something of a problem with RSS. It's difficult to explain to people why it's so useful unless they try it, and even then, they need to use it for a while before they really get it.

Sigh...

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks for your reply Support.

Like I said I might be wrong so giving it time as you suggest may make me see the light :idea:

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:06 pm

I've just looked at it again and I don't know how to change the big red box. Look at the big red box of Awasu it wastes most probably 85% of it's real estate, why should it take up so much room when it's the CONTENT people want? Whatever is said in that box could be said in a box measuring 1cm deep across the full page, but on my screen it's 5cm deep!

Like I said there's so much wasted space and so much scrolling to do. Sure, if you're the type of person who needs the news/views as soon as they're published then rss might be right up your street. But just how many people are there like that? Personally I don't know one person unless they're in the stockmarket in which case the internet is too slow anyway, they've got reuters or bloomberg on their desks.

RSS is I think a great idea but why can't people just put headlines and perhaps a small brief, then I could click my rss browser and have say 20-50 links on my screen without having to scroll and get bored within about 5 secs.

For me I think I'm better off keeping what I've got, my own webpage with my own links on it, then I just click on 'home' in my browser and then can click on the site I want, 2 clicks no scrolling and I'm there :D

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:40 am

Anonymous wrote:I've just looked at it again and I don't know how to change the big red box.

Open the Properties dialog for the channel and go to the Details tab. You can edit the channel's description and trim it down.

Alternately, if you open the Program Options dialog, go to the Display tab and turn on "Show brief channel summaries" to show an abbreviated header box.

Finally, you can also tweak the page templates in the Resources/Channel Summary Templates directory so that the pages look however you like. The Rusty-Compact.template sounds like it might be what you need - a very brief description of what's in each feed, links only.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”