Postby Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:09 pm

Hi there,

I have several questions...

1) Do I have to install Python interpreter to use *.py scripts ?
2) How can I monitor a normal web page (let say www.snpp.com) ?
3) How can I find more .rss & co. adresses urls ?
4) When do you plan pro versions ?

Thanks and best regards,

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi there,

G'day!

Anonymous wrote:1) Do I have to install Python interpreter to use *.py scripts ?

Yes. You need the Python interpreter <b>and</b> something that can do WIN32 calls. ActiveState's Python contains WIN32 support already but if you install the standard Python interpreter, you need the WIN32 extensions as well.

Anonymous wrote:2) How can I monitor a normal web page (let say www.snpp.com) ?

It depends on what you mean by "monitor." If you want to grab content off the page and monitor it as an RSS feed, there are two alternatives. Sites like myrss.com will scrape the page and convert it to an RSS feed but because it is done by a computer, the results can be a little mixed. If you are willing to pay, they will tweak the process by hand to give better results. The other is to write a small script to do it yourself. There are a number of scripts available already for sites like Fark.com, Joel on Software and It's Your Turn!

If you just want to know if a page has changed, a plugin to do this is on my to-do list but it's trivial to do it yourself if you can program a bit. Just write a little script that checksums the page and notifies the user if the checksum changes.

Nice site, btw :-)

Anonymous wrote:3) How can I find more .rss & co. adresses urls ?

The best place is syndic8.com. You can also try moreover.com and newsisfree.com.

Anonymous wrote:4) When do you plan pro versions ?

The Professional Edition is intended for corporate use and will be available Q3 this year. The Advanced Edition will contain everything that individual users will want and will be released Q2.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”