ag4

Postby ag4 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:17 pm

How does Awasu determine if an item in a feed is "new"? It appears that happens only when an item's link URL changes.

I'm trying to create some feeds from my website. The items' URLs never change, but the pages are updated regularly with new information. The idea is that when our customers want the latest version of a certain page, they merely go to the URL they have bookmarked and can be assured that they have the latest version of the particular information.

abwilson

Postby abwilson » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:45 pm

This is important for me too.

I would like for a new GUID for a link URL to be interpreted as "new/unread". In the "early days", Awasu used to work this way.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:38 am

ag4 wrote:How does Awasu determine if an item in a feed is "new"?

Ah, such a simple question, kinda like "what is the meaning of life?" :-) :roll:

Uniquely identifying items is an insanely tricky procedure and is done in one of two ways. Firstly, if they have a GUID then that is what's used, otherwise the URL. However, even if these don't change for a given item, Awasu also checks if anything else has (e.g the item's description) and if so, flags it as having been revised.

I suspect you're having problems because your items are being marked as read (either manually or because the user clicked on them). If they later change, they are *not* flagged as new. To get around this, use a new GUID (or URL) every time something in the item changes.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”