vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:24 am

I'm really not sure if this is a problem with Awasu or something else, so please bear with me. I've had the free version of Awasu for quite some time and love it. Only problem I've found is that occasionally the RSS feed URLs on several feeds will be changed for some unknown reason when I check my feeds.

For example, here is the URL to one of my feeds:
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/recentposts.rdf

Yesterday when I checked this feed, the URL of the feed looked like this:
http://www.spectrus.com/forums/recentposts.rdf

I deleted and re-added the feed, and everything was fine. Today, it was back to the wrong URL - but I didn't do anything to make that happen!

Any idea what would cause this to happen? I have several feeds in my list, but this only seems to happen with sitepoint.com feeds. Is it possible this is a problem with the sitepoint.com website? Or some other problem? Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:43 am

It's possible for a publisher to indicate that a feed's URL has changed. Awasu will detect this and automatically update the subscription's URL.

While the feed you gave didn't seem to be being redirected when I checked, it might be that they were playing around with things earlier. Plesae let us know if the problem persists.

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:19 pm

AFAIK, spectrus.com is in no way affiliated with sitepoint.com. That's what is just so weird about this problem. (I posted a message on the sitepoint.com forum, and they seemed to think this was an Awasu problem.)

Here's another clue that I just discovered: Do a Google search for spectrus.com (the bogus URL that ended up in Awasu), and it shows one entry in their index, with a title of MusicSearch.com. That is not the title on their home page. Furthermore, MusicSearch.com just happens to be the name of an RSS feed that I have in my list of feeds!

Just for grins, I deleted and re-added the MusicSearch.com feed to my list of feeds. Will post back here again if/when I notice the URL switch happening again.

Thanks so much for your help. :D

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:29 pm

Well, it happened again today for no apparent reason. I guess if there's no way to determine why this is happening, I'll just have to keep deleting and re-adding channels when they get messed up like this. :(

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:54 pm

Can you zip up and email us a copy of your user's Channels sub-directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME\Channels).

Also, 2.1.1 allows you to change the URL of a feed without having to delete and recreate it. Alternately, you can just exit Awasu, open the appropriate .CHANNEL file and edit the URL directly.

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sun May 01, 2005 3:10 am

PM sent with a link to the zip file on my website.

(Is there a way to post attachments in phpbb?)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun May 01, 2005 4:01 am

There doesn't seem to be anything weird in your config files.

What version are you running now? I'll get a special version to you that will contain some extra stuff to try and figure out what's happening.

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sun May 01, 2005 5:09 am

I'm running version 2.0. Is there a later version, and do you think it would help if I upgraded? (I've been meaning to get more than just the free version; maybe now is a good time to consider doing that. :wink: )

You asked me via PM if I was running a single or multi-CPU computer. It's a single CPU.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun May 01, 2005 6:09 am

vinyl-junkie wrote:I'm running version 2.0. Is there a later version, and do you think it would help if I upgraded?

The latest general release is 2.1 and it would definitely be worth upgrading, just for all the new features. There has also been one beta release since then that lets you have folders in the My Channels window. And the latest, bleeding edge alpha release lets you have multiple workpads.

For this particular problem, I would recommend upgrading to 2.1. There haven't been any changes to the underlying RSS engine since then. Let us know if you do the upgrade and I'll hold off with the special version since the problem might go away :-)

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sun May 01, 2005 7:37 am

OK, I went ahead and got the Advanced Edition, so now I'm on version 2.1. With any kind of luck, the upgrade will solve all my problems.

I will post again in a week or so and let you know one way or the other if I still experience this problem. Thanks once again for all your help! :D

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sun May 01, 2005 4:12 pm

Gee, I didn't expect this problem to surface again so quickly, but I got up this morning, checked my feeds, and found the same problem I've been dealing with all along. :(

This time, I haven't deleted and re-added the messed up feeds, which I had done previsously. I made another zip file for you as-is, same location as before. You'll notice that the feed url has one domain (which is incorrect) but the home url is listed correctly. That is happening on four of the five SitePoint feeds. I hope maybe it will offer up a clue.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun May 01, 2005 4:39 pm

Can you try this:

Create a DEBUG.INI file in your user's home directory that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[MessageLog]
HttpActivity=1
HttpHeaders=1

and restart Awasu. This will log what's happening in a file called Awasu.log in your user's Logs sub-directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME\Logs\Awasu.log). When the problem happens again, send me this file and it'll give us a better idea of what's happening.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun May 01, 2005 4:57 pm

BTW, you said that you've been using Awasu for a while. Has this always been happening or has it only just started?

Also, next time it happens, open a separate browser window and try opening one of the feeds that have been changed. Does it go to the correct URL or the spectrus.com one?

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Sun May 01, 2005 5:58 pm

support wrote:BTW, you said that you've been using Awasu for a while. Has this always been happening or has it only just started?

This has been happening for quite some time. The only thing I don't remember is whether or not it's been happening from the beginning of using Awasu or if it started a few months after I began using it. I've just been putting up with it by deleting and re-adding my channels when they get messed up. Then I finally had enough of that and came here for help.

Also, next time it happens, open a separate browser window and try opening one of the feeds that have been changed. Does it go to the correct URL or the spectrus.com one?

I think maybe I've been a bit unclear about what I'm seeing. Sorry about that. When my feeds get messed up, I see a red exclamation mark to the left of the feed itself on the Control Center panel, and the feed name also displays in red.

If I click on the feed itself so that something displays in the right hand window, the banner title shows up in the window with the feed name, a last updated time and for example, 3 errors. That's all - no feeds below that to click on. If I right click on the banner link and click Open in a New Window, it brings up a browsers session with the url for the home page for that feed.

Hope that explains the nature of the problem a little better.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun May 01, 2005 6:11 pm

vinyl-junkie wrote:I think maybe I've been a bit unclear about what I'm seeing. Sorry about that. When my feeds get messed up, I see a red exclamation mark to the left of the feed itself on the Control Center panel, and the feed name also displays in red.

If I click on the feed itself so that something displays in the right hand window, the banner title shows up in the window with the feed name, a last updated time and for example, 3 errors. That's all - no feeds below that to click on. If I right click on the banner link and click Open in a New Window, it brings up a browsers session with the url for the home page for that feed.

This all consistent with Awasu being told that the URL has been changed. When it happens again, what's in Awasu.log will probably confirm this. My best guess right now is that somewhere on the Internet, between you and SitePoint, somebody is getting confused about some networking issues and sending back the wrong thing. That's why I asked you to open the feed URL in a separate browser. However, it seems to be a very transient thing so you probably won't see any problems there. I've subscribed to the feeds myself so we'll see if I get the same problem...

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”