Booboo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am

Postby Booboo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:57 pm

I am displaying the AUTHOR field in the Item window, however, generally this column is blank.

Is this an error?

Ultimately, I would like to show the 'source' meta data on my WorkPad reports so I can see if the news item has come from CNN, BBC etc.[/b]
Booboo

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:03 am

Booboo wrote:I am displaying the AUTHOR field in the Item window, however, generally this column is blank.

You need to check the raw feed XML to see if an author is actually being specified.

Booboo wrote:Ultimately, I would like to show the 'source' meta data on my WorkPad reports so I can see if the news item has come from CNN, BBC etc.[/b]

To see the source in the item page, create a column using a metadata value of <tt>source</tt>, or to insert it into a report, use <tt>{%ITEM-METADATA% source}</tt>. Again, this field needs to be in the feed XML for this to work :-)

Booboo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am

Postby Booboo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Could I please have step by step instruction on how to achieve the following:

To see the source in the item page, create a column using a metadata value of source

Thanks.
Booboo

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:31 pm

The process is as described here.

Booboo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am

Postby Booboo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Thanks. I didn't realise that the code you provided was to drop into the box. Thought it was only for the the report template.

Some of my source column entries are quite long. It is possible to sub edit what gets displayed or is it simply whatever the author dumps in their source field?

Also, I am also using the TimeStamp column. Is this the same as 'Published' metadata?

If it's different, what is the code for 'Published'?

Where can I get a list of all the codes that I can use for columns?
Booboo

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:23 am

Booboo wrote:Thanks. I didn't realise that the code you provided was to drop into the box. Thought it was only for the the report template.

Exactly the same framework is used to insert metadata into reports as into the item pane columns. Item pane columns are assumed to be using <tt>{%ITEM-METADATA%}</tt> but it doesn't have to be. You can insert any kind of metadata e.g. channel metadata using <tt>{%CHANNEL-METADATA%}</tt>, or even a combination of the two.

Booboo wrote:Some of my source column entries are quite long. It is possible to sub edit what gets displayed or is it simply whatever the author dumps in their source field?

I thought about this but it would be insanely complicated to use. How would you see it working.

Booboo wrote:Also, I am also using the TimeStamp column. Is this the same as 'Published' metadata?

See here.

Booboo wrote:Where can I get a list of all the codes that I can use for columns?

Items can have arbitrary metadata associated with them but the standard ones are listed here and here.


Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests