View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Thanks, but unfortunately i already tried that suggestion and the results are the same.

Do you have any other suggestion that i might try?

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 pm
Site Admin

Do you have any other suggestion that i might try?

Next time it happens, do a "view source" on the page and see if you get anything. Open the page in an external browser, save the source, then send it and URL to me and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Viewing web pages
Since the problem only occurs when you click a link to navigate to the full web page, we can safely rule out that there is a problem with an Awasu Template, such as a Channel Summary Template or Search Channel Template. I doubt that the problem has anything to do about having a lot of feed items in a Channel, instead I agree with Taka that it must be a problem with the way the web page(s) are written and with the way that the error message is being suppressed in Awasu.

Even with script debugging disabled in Internet Explorer, if you access a web page that has script errors, Internet Explorer may, or may not, display the page but in the left side of it's Status Bar it will display a warning icon with the text "Done, but with errors on page." Double-clicking the warning icon will display a dialog box with a list of all of the script errors and their line numbers.

So try navigating to one of the pages that is causing the blank page effect and take a look at the left side of the Status Bar and see if you've got the "Done, but with errors on page." I'd really be interested to know what error messages you receive. I've got a feeling that one of them may be an "Unterminated string constant" with a really low line number. Of course make sure that the Status Bar is displayed!

It'd be nice if you posted some URLs of some of the web pages that are causing the "blank page" problem for us to test with, but I'll take the initiative and post a known problem page for you guys. ActiveState has a "Cookbook" full of programming "recipes" and I always get a couple of script errors when I access their pages.

Here's a page to test with: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/576874/

Right now in IE8 I have "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)" disabled and I have "Disable script debugging (Other)" enabled.

When I open the ActiveState page in IE8 (with or without Awasu running) I don't get any error messages displayed in popup dialog boxes, but I get the text "Done, but with errors on page." displayed in the Status Bar.

With "Disable dialog boxes" un-ticked in Awasu the page loads fine. With "Disable dialog boxes" ticked in Awasu I get several script error message boxes (you should close all open tabs in Awasu when you make this change).

Although this ActiveState page won't cause bank page problem, ActiveState's Cookbook pages reliably provide script errors in Internet Explorer that are good for testing.

I'll bet that the problem with rsr's pages aren't really script errors, I think they are probably HTML tag errors. Maybe a missing closing </head>, </script>, or </style> tag or maybe a missing opening <body> tag. Something that blurs the delimiter between the <head> section, which isn't directly displayed in the web browser, and the <body> section which is displayed in the web browser.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:43 am

thank you very much for your suggestions and for looking into this.

I emailed Taka with some source info with an example of one of the many links that doesn't seem to work in the from its current Search Channel location.

Example:
http://www.acnereliefguide.com/acneblog ... help-acne/

As you can see the link is valid with no errors being reported by the IE8 brower.

I wanted to clarify that the problem does not result in blank pages. When a feed item is selected from the summary pane or the item pane, the url shows up momentarily in the url text bar but seems to be ignored by Awasu. The summary pane does not change or it will refresh and just display the list of feed summaries starting from the top.

When working correctly, the summary pane usually switches to browser mode and displays the web page. However this is not happening consitently with Search Channel feeds.

In addition also wanted to clarify that this only seems to happen with our Search Channels ( i.e. Channels that were set up to search other channels for key words ). If we move to the original channel from where the Search channel obtained these feeds, the links work as expected. (i.e. the summary pane switches over to display the web page correctly )

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:18 am
Site Admin

I wanted to clarify that the problem does not result in blank pages. When a feed item is selected from the summary pane or the item pane, the url shows up momentarily in the url text bar but seems to be ignored by Awasu. The summary pane does not change or it will refresh and just display the list of feed summaries starting from the top.

Aaaahhhhh.... This could be important. There might be a problem in the way the original feed item URL's are being inserted into the generated feed XML for the search channel which could explain what you're seeing.

Find an item that is having the problem, then send me:
(*) the feed XML for the originating feed (and it's URL)
(*) the feed XML for the search channel
and indicate which feed item is having the problem.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile WWW

I just you the information you requested via email.

I do not know if this helps, but will describe the messages shown in the status bar at the bottom of the Awasu window.

When the example feed is highlighted the status bar shows the following: http://www.acnereliefguide.com/acneblog ... help-acne/

But when the feed item is selected the status bar immediately shows the following:
Waiting for file///C:Users/Rsr/AppData/Local/Temp/awasu5670.html....

It then very quickly refreshes the summary page and the text is removed from the status bar.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12 am
Site Admin

But when the feed item is selected the status bar immediately shows the following:
Waiting for file///C:Users/Rsr/AppData/Local/Temp/awasu5670.html....

This looks wrong. Are you clicking on an item's main link, not the one labelled "Source". If you hover the mouse over the link and you should see a "real" URL, not one that starts with 127.0.0.1:2604. The only time I got a blank window to happen was by clicking on the "Source" link but this was accompanied by a error message box (and is also a known issue :oops:).

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:53 am
Profile WWW

Yes, i am clicking on the item's main link and not on the one labelled "Source".

Also when i hover over item's main link i see the real url.

Let me know if there are any other files or configuration that you would like for me to send to you to help troubleshoot the issue.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 am
Post labelled "Source"
Remember what you're seeing in the web browser within Awasu is a combination of the feed content, the Awasu Channel Summary Template and all of it's include files, one or more CSS files, 4) your Web browser settings and, to a certain degree your Awasu settings. All of that has to fit together pretty well for the web browser to render an error free, fully-functional page.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:16 pm

After reading i went back to check on some other IE settings that i had not tried yet. Unfortunately, the results are the same.

It is possible that there may be some issues with handling the xml from certain feed items. However, i am not totally convinced that there may not be another issue that is causing this.

I have been testing on several machines and OS and the results are the same. Also, the feed items that i have been using to test the Search channel setup all check out to have valid urls.

The problem i am experiencing is only noticable with the list of feed items that were derived from the Search Channels.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:00 pm

For what it's worth...

rsr, I think that gto is some type of spambot. Read gto's post and then read mine made on this same thread back on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:26 pm (it's towards the bottom of the post). It's a straight copy and paste except for some of the numbering got lost.

Also, last week someone posted a message or two using a "Mark V. Shaney" type of program. These programs analyze text and record how many times a word follows another word (a Markov Chain). Then they generate new text using the probability of the word order with a little randomization thrown in. They can generate gibberish, but they can also generate some text that looks like it is written in the same "style" as the original analyzed text (see how "Mark V. Shaney" sounds a little like "Markov Chain").

Taka has since removed the Mark V. Shaney, but I found some of my text in there so... there's an old saying that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", so I guess I should feel flattered that gto and the Mark V. Shaney bots have decided to imitated me.

~ "kevotheclone, often imitated, never duplicated"

:drevil: Hey Awasu users, bored out of your brains, want to have a little fun? You've got Awasu right?
Take one or more of your Channels and attach a "Mark V. Shaney" Channel Hook. Write the output to an RSS file, subscribe to this same RSS file in Awasu, create a Channel Report based upon your "Mark V. Shaney" Channel and FTP the Channel Report to a blog you've set up under a ficticious name, see if you can fool anyone into subscribing to it.
You can find "Mark V. Shaney" programs written in a variety of languages, here's one in Python. :drevil:

Last edited by kevotheclone on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:14 am
Site Admin

kevotheclone wrote:
I think that gto is some type of spambot.

I checked on this guy when the post was made and his email address was at a .ru domain. Normally I would've just deleted it but I know a Russian guy had just bought Awasu (there was a problem with his order) and he seemed quite interested so I figured it might've been him.

kevotheclone wrote:
It's a straight copy and paste except for some of the numbering got lost.

Didn't notice that :roll:

kevotheclone wrote:
They can generate gibberish, but they can also generate some text that looks like it is written in the same "style" as the original analyzed text

The technology is clearly getting better. It's managed to find text from somewhere else and figure out that it's relevant here.

Sigh... :wall:

Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks for sending your sync file through, it contained the clue I needed to figure out what's going on.

It's actually got nothing to do with search channels or IE8 or anything like that. There's a bug in Awasu (introduced in 2.4.1) that will cause the channel's summary page to show again if you click on an item <i>and the item pane is being sorted</i> :wall: :wall: :wall:

The search channel you pointed out to me is being sorted on the <i>Timestamp</i> column so the short-term fix is to click on the header until the sort arrow goes away.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:49 am
Profile WWW

After reading i went back to check on some other IE settings that i had not tried yet. Unfortunately, the results are the same.

It is possible that there may be some issues with handling the xml from certain feed items. However, i am not totally convinced that there may not be another issue that is causing this.

I have been testing on several machines and OS and the results are the same. Also, the feed items that i have been using to test the Search channel setup all check out to have valid urls.

The problem i am experiencing is only noticable with the list of feed items that were derived from the Search Channels.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

nuesha wrote:

What exactly is the problem you're seeing?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2