View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Post Fast Database Access
Regarding the check box for Fast DB access.
By checking this - will/should the update speed be influenced?

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:23 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Fast Database Access
Booboo wrote:
will/should the update speed be influenced?

Yes, it will.

If you want faster updates, restricting when the search index can be updated (configured on the same page) also makes a big difference.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 am
Profile WWW

I've unchecked the Fast Access box again. I find when it is checked, Awasu is less stable on my system.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm
Site Admin

I've unchecked the Fast Access box again. I find when it is checked, Awasu is less stable on my system.

This doesn't sound right, it shouldn't have that effect.

Are you getting any crash logs? Send them in.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:47 am
Profile WWW

Will do. Funny thing happened yesterday - the Crash Log crashed!

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 am

In some not too technical terms, what does the "Fast database Access" do? Does it keep the connection open? Use an in-memory database?

FYI In the 1.5 years that I've used Awasu (everyday), I may have experienced 10-15 crashes, but it's never crashed repeatedly; once I restart Awasu everything is fine. And I've never experienced a corrupted database or seemed to have lost any data (Channels or their items, Channel Reports, Channel Filters, Workpad or their items, etc.). So the crashes have always been a minor annoyance.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Kev. Interestingly, since my last post on crashing, Awasu has been running fine. Particularly in the latest versions I find the it recovers without too much fuss.

In the early days I came within inches of uninstalling it ...... but then Taka fired up on all cylinders!

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm
Site Admin

kevotheclone wrote:
what does the "Fast database Access" do?

Awasu uses SQLite to manage the archive database, which ensures that the database remains safe, even in the event of Windows crashing or a power failure. When a program writes data to disk, Windows does the actual work of writing the data out but it sometimes tells the program that it's been done before it actually has happened. To ensure that the database remains consistent, SQLite has to jump through some hoops to ensure that when it writes out data, it actually has physically been written to the disk and that's what this setting does.

Awasu switches between OFF (believe Windows when it says that the data has been written) and NORMAL (make sure the data has been written out, regardless of what Windows says). IIRC, FULL is there because the same problem exists with some disk controllers which incorrectly report that data has been written to the disk when it's still in progress, but it's <i>really</i> slow and so Awasu doesn't use it :roll:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

since my last post on crashing, Awasu has been running fine.

This is a well-known phenomenon and often happens when problems are brought to my attention. Software and servers are terrified of incurring my ire, and anyone who has worked with me will confirm that it's a well-founded fear :mad:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

kevotheclone wrote:
In the 1.5 years that I've used Awasu (everyday), I may have experienced 10-15 crashes

And I forgot to ask, how many of those were caused by IE? Of the crash logs that people send in, I would say <i>at least</i> 95% of them are caused by the embedded IE browser :wall: :bah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:57 am
Profile WWW

They've usually occurred as a result of me clicking on something, either in the browser pane (IE), but sometimes it might have been a tool bar button. I think once Awasu might have crashed as it started up after an upgrade; since I've been keeping up with the alphas/betas/and-every-thing-in-between I've gone through a lot of upgrades, one minor crash with no long-term consequences isn't too bad. I don't think Awasu has ever crashed during a Channel update, or during Channel Report generation, etc. :D

Good work! ::-):

Thanks for the SQLite details, I might start using it myself; as well as how the "Fast database access" setting affects Awasu

And welcome back Booboo! :clap:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:50 am

Regarding Browsers, I had been using FireForx for while but recently switched back to IE8. So I have had problems with both.

Kev. It's good to be back. I do get distracted for long periods!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:42 am

Please help. how can i access database fast? thanks!

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

nuesha wrote:
Please help. how can i access database fast?

Choose Options from the Tools menu, go to the Archive page. It's in the top-right corner.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]