altica

Postby altica » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:32 pm

This may be a dumb question but ....

Is there a way to send items matching a certain criteria (eg contain XYZ) from a channel to a Workpad?

I am doing some research and it would be a great help to find all the relevant info in one place
Graham

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:24 am

altica wrote:Is there a way to send items matching a certain criteria (eg contain XYZ) from a channel to a Workpad?

I am doing some research and it would be a great help to find all the relevant info in one place

Do you specifically want them in a workpad? You could create a search channel, which would consist of only items that matched your search criteria.

Let me know if you want them in a workpad. A few people have asked for this and it should be easy to implement...

altica

Postby altica » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:07 am

I prefer the Workpad approach as I find it more covenient to have everything in one place.

I have other search channels collecting filtered results but with the Workpad I can delete individual items that are either of no interest or I have already used them.

It would be great if this could be implemented

G
Last edited by altica on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:13 am

altica wrote:I have other search channels collecting filtered results but with the Workpad I can delete individual items that are either of no interest or I have already used them.

Somebody else had the clever idea of configuring their search channels to only show unread items. When they wanted to "delete" an item, they marked it read, thus causing it to disappear.

altica wrote:It would be great if this could be implemented

Coming to 2.4.1.alpha2 release near you.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 am

This may be a dumb question but...

I hope not because I've thought about the same thing.

Something to consider
If your ultimate goal is to combine items from multiple Channels into a unified Channel Report, then there's an easy alternative. Create a Channel Report based upon one or more Channel folders.

However, if you really want to use Workpad features like adding Notes to the Workpad items or deleting individual Workpad items, (as you've stated you like to do) then you truly need to get your Channel's items into a Workpad.

There's is currently a way to automatically add a Channel's items to the Default Workpad using either 1) the awasu:// protocol or 2) by making an HTTP call to localhost using the TCPIP port that Awasu is listening on.

Deep in kevotheclone's Channel Hook archives are a pair of Channel Hooks that will send a Channel's items to the Default Workpad; one using the awasu:// protocol, the other one uses the HTTP call approach. Their both written in Python and both seem to work equally well (jus' eyeballin' it). They're both designed to be called on the "NewFeedItem" event. I'm not sure which method is "better" (performance, stability, etc.), this is where Taka's knowledge of Awasu's internals would help (you are listening aren't you).

The only real problem with these Channel Hook's is that the current API only let's you specify a URL, so all of the automatically added items won't have titles, just URLs. Also, these Channel Hooks can only add items to the Default Workpad.

So altica , if you think these Channel Hooks would benefit you until Taka updates Awasu, I could upload them to the wiki.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:56 am

kevotheclone wrote:There's is currently a way to automatically add a Channel's items to the Default Workpad using either 1) the awasu:// protocol or 2) by making an HTTP call to localhost using the TCPIP port that Awasu is listening on.

Holy cow, that's clever (especially given that I've never advertised the presence of the awasu:// protocol) :blink:

kevotheclone wrote:They're both designed to be called on the "NewFeedItem" event. I'm not sure which method is "better" (performance, stability, etc.)

Running a channel hook requires a new process to be started so you're significantly better off responding to a single <i>ConsolidatedNewFeedItems</i> event rather than lots of <i>NewFeedItem</i>'s. Likewise, using the awasu:// protocol causes a new process to be started which then forwards the request on to Awasu. The only issue with talking directly to the TCP/IP port is that the port number can change, but only if you have more than one copy of Awasu running at a time (e.g. in another Windows session) or if someone else is already using it. Otherwise, it will always be the same.

kevotheclone wrote:you are listening aren't you

It's my fate to always be here listening :roll:

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Sun May 31, 2009 12:47 am

Just to provide some closure to this thread...

May 5, 2009
I created a Channel Hook that adds all of a Channel's new feed items to Awasu's Default Workpad. The Channel Hook is available for download here (Taka even had some kinds words to say on his weblog).

May 23, 2009
Taka has added a much improved version of this functionality in Awasu version 2.4.1 alpha 2. You have an option in the "Advanced" section of a Channel's "Properties" dialog box to "Add new items to workpads" (note that "workpads"... plural). That's right... you read that right; you can add all of a Channel's new items not just to any Workpad, but to several Workpads using the nice Awasu UI. I upgraded to Awasu 2.4.1 alpha 2 a few days ago and have tested this feature in several scenarios and I am unable to break/confuse it. It just works!

So, although my Channel Hook works well as advertized, it is limited in that it can only add items to the Default Workpad, and it is only really useful to users who are running pre-2.4.1 versions of Awasu.
Hint: Upgrade to 2.4.1!

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”