nickdavies

Postby nickdavies » Fri May 02, 2003 10:48 am

Is it possible to define a default profile, so all users get a preselected set of channels, and is it possible to point the users directory somewhere else, so we can have roaming profiles?

We are looking for a suitable RSS client to deploy in a classroom environment, and it would be incoventient if the users have to conigure channels each time they log in.

Nick Davies
Chemistry Dept
Imperial College,
London

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri May 02, 2003 12:20 pm

nickdavies wrote:Is it possible to define a default profile, so all users get a preselected set of channels

No, but it can be worked around. Install Awasu somewhere and configure it accordingly and set up the required channels.

Then, when you install it on new machines, look in the user's directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME) and copy over the CONFIG.INI file plus everything in the Channels sub-directory.

nickdavies wrote:is it possible to point the users directory somewhere else, so we can have roaming profiles?

This is something I've been meaning to put in for a while but haven't got around to yet. I'll put it in the next release for you.

nickdavies

Postby nickdavies » Fri May 02, 2003 12:44 pm

Then, when you install it on new machines, look in the user's directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME) and copy over the CONFIG.INI file plus everything in the Channels sub-directory.

Note quite what I want to do. I want to configure a set of channels, then when any other user logs in they get the same set of channels - not give one user the same channels on every machine. Hope this makes sense.

Nick

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri May 02, 2003 12:55 pm

nickdavies wrote:Note quite what I want to do. I want to configure a set of channels, then when any other user logs in they get the same set of channels - not give one user the same channels on every machine. Hope this makes sense.

So this all on a single machine? By default, Awasu uses your logon name to set up the directories, etc. but it is possible to override this. I'm overseas right now but I'm pretty sure this is the way to do it (I am getting old though and the memory is starting to go... :-():

Create a file in the Awasu installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu) called DEBUG.INI that looks like this:

<blockquote>
[Debug]
UserName=common
</blockquote>

Then restart Awasu. It will then use the specified user name instead of the logon name.

nickdavies

Postby nickdavies » Fri May 02, 2003 1:21 pm

support wrote:So this all on a single machine?

Many thanks that's working fine. What we've got is many users on many machines. The machines are identical but not, of course, the users.

Nick[/quote]

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”