View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Post highlight within popup balloons?
Right now I have Awasu configured to popup a balloon every time a new article is found through one of my 400 channels. I have it set so that a balloon pops up every 10 seconds with multiple articles in each balloon. However, this is too much information for me to sort through. Is there a way that I can set Awasu to highlight those article titles in the popup balloons that contain one of my search agents in them? Or is there a way to only have Awasu popup a balloon for an article that includes one of my search agents? The other option I was exploring was attatching the MySQLChannelHook to my search agents, but I couldn't figure out how to do this. I couldn't figure out how to set up MySQL. Could you help me out?

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:07 am
Site Admin

Post Re: highlight within popup balloons?
rawlesc12 wrote:
However, this is too much information for me to sort through.

I know what you mean :roll:

rawlesc12 wrote:
Or is there a way to only have Awasu popup a balloon for an article that includes one of my search agents?

There isn't right now but this is a <i>really</i> cool idea. I'll have a ponder over how to implement this...

rawlesc12 wrote:
The other option I was exploring was attatching the MySQLChannelHook to my search agents, but I couldn't figure out how to do this.

Are you talking about search agents or search channels (didn't we just have this conversation? :-) ). Search agents simply highlight items of interest in the UI and can't have hooks attached to them. Search channels, on the other hand, can - open the channel's Properties dialog, go to the Advanced tab, click on the green plus sign in the <i>Channel hooks</i> box and browse to the <tt>NewsItems2MySQLexe.hook</tt> file.

rawlesc12 wrote:
I couldn't figure out how to set up MySQL. Could you help me out?

To be honest, I don't know it all that well myself and it's a bit outside of the scope of the support we offer here. IIRC, I just ran the installer EXE.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 am
Profile WWW

Or is there any way I could add a bunch of channel filters to every channel without having to go through each one individually and add the filter words in the channel properties? If I could do that then that would limit how many popup balloons came up to only those articles that I'm interested in.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Post Re: highlight within popup balloons?
:idea: Wow! Awasu is very configurable! :idea:

rawlesc12, if you haven't said this yet, you soon will. It's one of many "Awasu epiphanies".

First off you must be very clear on the differences between a "Search Agent", a "Search Channel", and a "Channel Filter" (FYI there's also "Item Filters" but that's another day's post).

Regarding Search Agents and Balloons
I can see that it would be be cool if within a balloon there were little icons to indicate that that one or more Search Agents matched that item, just like in the My Channels window.

Both Search Agents and Search Channels search across all of your Channels so I don't think you need to "...go through each one individually and add the filter words in the channel properties...".

So turn off balloon notifications for most or all your regular (non-Search) Channels and only enable balloon notifications on your Search Channels; this will greatly reduce "attention interruptus" without the need for a Dr. Appt. :lol:

Now back to those Plain Old (non-Search) Channels (POCs) (although this applies to Search Channels too)
Awasu has at least 4 different ways to create a short list of your favorite Channels so you can look in on them at your discretion.
    1) In a Channel Properties dialog box you can tick/untick the "Show in the system tray menu" check box. So that when you right click the Awasu icon in the Window's system tray (lower-right corner, by the clock) you can see a list of the Channel's you've designated to appear on this menu. It even supports Channel-by-Channel submenus so check out all of the options.

2) Also in a Channel Properties dialog box you can tick/untick the "Show in Sidebar" (one again check out the available options). You'll also need to enable the Sidebar; go to Tools->Options->Display->"Show Sidebar" and look at the available Sidebar options.

3) You can also add Channels to Awasu "Favorites" and you can quickly access then via the main Favorites menu or the Favorites section of the Tasks Pane.

4) Channel Filters gives you a quick way to change the Channels displayed in the My Channels window. Filter by All, New, Unread and/or by specific folders and/or by specific words/phrases/regular expression patterns.

I like grouping Channels with similar content together: Technology Channels to the System Tray, Health & News Channels to the Sidebar, etc.

:idea: Wow! Awasu is extremely configurable! :idea:

Go ahead rawlesc12, I know you're thinking it... go ahead and say it... out loud... climb to the closest roof top and shout it at the top of your lungs.
If anyone thinks you're crazy, just show them what you can do with Awasu and then quickly stick your fingers in your ears before they shout with amazement at the top of their lungs and shatter your already tired eardrums.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]